Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem

Hey everyone. I just replaced my inner tie rod ends and shocks/struts this last weekend (and also took off the relay rod because I was going to replace idler and pitman arms as well but ran out of time) and got an alignment after the job was done. The steering feels fine, except when I crank the steering wheel all the way to either side (like in a parking lot), it feels like the front tires want to "slip" and go straight rather than turn, which causes them to squeel. I thought it would be an alignment issue with toe in, but that was all adjusted.

Is it possible that if I over or under tightened the relay rod it would cause this? My power steering fluid level is good and gear box has a very small amount of play (like 1/32 inch) which isn't new. I thought it might be the power steering pump, but that wouldn't explain the tires "slipping".
Details on truck: 1999 Silverado 1500, 4x4, 150k miles, BFG All Terrain tires with about 30% life left.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Old April 21st, 2010, 4:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi azchevy99,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I moved this to the Silverado section and posted so it would get the specific attention it needs by those familiar with your vehicle.

I believe(may be wrong) that a "pop" ateither extreme end of steering play may be a common(although minor) failing in these particular vehicles...