Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Stock receiver wattage question

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2007, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock receiver wattage question

I own a 1999 silverado and was wandering if anyone knows the stock rms. wattage of the cd deck? thanks
Old April 30th, 2007, 1:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stock receiver wattage question

Vy due u vun tue no?
Old April 30th, 2007, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Beccause I am adding aftermarket speakers and want them to perform to their full potential and am worried that they might be a little underpowered.
Im very picky with sound quality and like the look of the stock deck and would prefer to leave it stock without adding an amplifier. In order to correctly match the new speakers i need to know the rms. wattage rate at the very least.
Thanks
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Pro Member

You won't have a problem with aftermarket replacement speakers being under powered with the stock factory deck.

If anything the the stock factory deck will be under powered for the speakers.
Old May 1st, 2007, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

That is the problem golfer. i replaced the factory speakers with different ones and the deck distorts way before the speakers ever do. basically you said the same thing twice with your previous response. You can tell because the bass distorts way before the speakers are anywhere maxed out. also the decks lights dim when the bass hits. with more power the speakers cone will be able to keep up with the tweet. Underpowering a speaker sounds worse than the original factory speakers (as far as bass responsegoes) in my opinion. thanks. but im looking for more in depth info.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
CF Pro Member

jay3250 ... you're correct ... my mistake. What I meant to say is there will no problem with the aftermarket speakers being over powered with the stock deck.

The stock deck is under powered for the aftermarket speakers as evidenced by your description. The stock deck is probably putting out 5 - 10 watts and the replacement speakers may require a minimum of 5 watts efficiencyto operate. When you tryto achieve a louder volume you are over driving the output of the stock deck andlow frequencies ( bass ) require more power , these are what's causing the deck's lights to dim and for the sound to be distorted. You will do more harm to the speakers with distortion than with loud clean volume and you will fry the deck as well.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for all the interesting and helpful info.. I now know which direction to head with my system