Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

System lean?? what else to try?

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System lean?? what else to try?

Hey guys I want to start off by saying hello Im Bill from ohio, Im new to this forum but a vet to quad and dirtbike forums. I bought my first chevy after making the switch from a ford powerstroke. I bout a 2008 2500HD with a 6.0. A week after buying the truck the check engine came on, No big deal i thought cause anything can trigger these i know. I get it hooked up and it says "bank 2 too lean" Parts store says i need O2 sensors so i buy them and put them in. Light comes back on. Now saying "bank 1 and 2 are lean" Local mechanic says probably intake gaskets being thats a common problem. SO i buy gaskets and put them in. Light stays off for about an hour. On the way to work today it comes back on. I havent had it hooked up yet but im sure it still says too lean. What else could it be. For now im just gonna stare at the light because i cant affford ro troubleshoot too much more. Thanks for any help guys!!!
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

I guess i should add that if the light wasnt on, I would never know this truck had a problem. It starts fine, idles smooth, runs perfect. All is well except for the light
Old January 4th, 2012, 1:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner and see if that helps. Autozone will check codes for free. OBD-II Trouble Code: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Old January 4th, 2012, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

I done some reading on that right before i made the post. I just pulled the mass air sensor and cleaned it with some electrical contact cleaner. The filter and sensor both looked spotless but i sprayed the sensor with the contact cleaner anyway to be sure. I let it set out to dry for about 30 minutes and put it back in. I drove the truck for about 5 miles round trip and as for now the light is still one. I dont think this was my problem but i could definitely be wrong. If this had something to do with it how long would it take for the light to detect it
Old January 4th, 2012, 4:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi BIll,

Don't ya just love those guys that tell you to buy something that is working perfectly?

Replace your fuel filter.

Allan
Old January 4th, 2012, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Allan,

Yeah I love it when other ppl make me spend all this money that wasnt necessary lol. In all honesty though are ya being serious about the fuel filter?? Could it be clogged so bad that its leaning the fuel system? Working on trucks has never been my thing. I have built many race quads and bikes but they are simple, If a plug is burning white then bump the jetting up.....Man i wish this truck was that easy lol
Old January 4th, 2012, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

I got the codes guys if it means anything. they are P0171 and P0174. Both lean/rich codes???
Old January 4th, 2012, 7:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing the fuel filter is easier said than done, not like the old days. Do you have an aftermarket air intake plumbing? P0171 and P0174 (lean banks 1 and 2) together usually means unmetered air (not accounted for by the MAF sensor). An aftermarket intake with the enlarged cross-sectional area will throw off the MAF sensor calibration, simulating an air leak.
Old January 4th, 2012, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

I had those codes on a 2002 f-150 i used to have and it was the intake gaskets. The ford dealer changed them for me. I never have any luck when it comes to gaskets(always seems to find a way to leak worse after I fix them)
Old January 4th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

No aftermarket intake on the truck. The entire truck is bone stock. I have went through and done the starting fluid test everywhere i could think of. On the intake tube, vacuum line connections and all around the new intake gaskets and the motor never revved. I know thats not a propper way to do it but a good old fashion trick to try

Quick Reply: System lean?? what else to try?