Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

TH350 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2009 | 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default TH350 rebuild

As I have said I have a 4L60E Transmission in my 1994 that is bad but before I tackle that project I also have a 1975 K20 4X4 that has a bad TH350 Tranny......son was using it and did not check fluid and ran it dry.......so I think I will have my first attempt at rebuilding a tranny be this one and see how I get along........I have the Haynes Techbook on GM transmission overhaul to use as my guide........any tips or tricks to this tranny?.........should I also rebuild the transfer case too while it is out?
Old December 11th, 2009 | 4:32 PM
CF Senior Member

i took apart and re-built a th400 in trans class about a month ago. now im on a gosh darn trans axle out of a caravan. darn thing nearly sliced my finger off today. but anyhoo. the th350 is not much different from the 400. there are some special tools you would need to use for example theres a plate in there with a bunch of lil springs in them. you need to compress it to get to a snap ring. then slowly release tension or the springs hit you in the face. that tool is over a hundred dollars. then theres other odds and ends. if you got the tools. clean facility. and patience with time. you will be okay. now. people have done ok without the special tools. but its just harder. much harder. and read carefully how the snaprings sit in the groove. some have to be put in at a specific point of where it opens at the end. good luck. and id do the t-case too since its out. good cleaning. inspect. replace things that are worn. OH!!! dont forget trans jelly. or petroleum jelly. and soak clutches in atf before install. trust me.