Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Timing Question.

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Question.

ok well my buddy was helping me with my camshaft and he said he knew what he was doing. well im not so sure that, he had the right idea now.

ok well we had the crank on TDC with the dot at 12 o'clock.
Then we installed the cam Dot at 12 o'clock.

now im not so sure that the cam dot was supposed to be @ 12, b/c i have a manul that showed it at 12 and at 6 so far im thinking it was supposed to be at 6 o'clock mark on the camshaft and 12 o'clock on the crank.

if i did this wrong and need to chang it what is the best way to rotate the camshaft to were it needs to be with all the lifters and rockers installed?

*by dot i mean the little dots that are on the crank and timing gear.*

-Camshaft Specs-
Elgin Prostock Camshaft

Cam Lift
INT EXH
.281 .296

Valve Lift
INT EXH
.421 .444

SAE DUR
INT EXH
278 288

SAE Timing
BTC ABC BBC ATC
27 71 76 32

Lobe CTRS
INT CTRS
107 117

Lash HOT
INT EXH
HYD HYD

.050 DUR
INT EXH
204 214

.050 Timing
BTC ABC BBC ATC
-5 29 44 -10
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your cam should have come with a spec card and install instructions. if not, call or check with them for install. you can also bring motor to tdc compression stroke, both valves should be closed. IF you need to change it, you're best to set to tdc, back off the rockers, then remove chain and set cam gear. you might also be able to get away with getting cam gear where you need it, remove chain, rotate just the crank to line up, then re-install chain. i would start by double checking with manufacturer tho as far as their marks go first. that way you know for sure.
Old April 17th, 2010, 9:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a stock cam the dots should be pointing at each other. 12 on the crank 6 on the cam. Some upgraded cams require them to be degreed in with a degree wheel based on the cam specs. The easiest way to fix it would be to remove the timing cover, set the crank on TDC then go a quarter turn further so none of the pistons are at the top, turn the cam around to 6 o clock then turn the crank backwards to 12 and put the chain on. There is no reason to remove the valve covers again and touch the rocker arms. When you turn the cam if it sops turning because a valve is touching the piston turn the crank a Little more the continue to turn the cam.