Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tire Question-2004 silverado 1500 LS

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2008, 1:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Question-2004 silverado 1500 LS

OK, here it is....I want to get some new tires for my truck. Currently it has 245/75R16. I am looking around and i work for a dealership and can get killer prices on tires. I was told the biggest i could get is 265/75R16 w/out rubbing on my truck. THis isnt the Z71 version, just the LS ext cab 4x4. I am looking at a bunch of tires. I was wondering if i could go w/ 265/70R16 (which is wider if i understand correctly) but dont know. ANY HELP would be nice. Here are the brands/tire i am looking at: Republic TRAIL MARK MAX, TRAIL MARK M/S RADIAL& TRAIL MARK RADIAL APR , Uniroyal LAREDO AWT, Goodyear WRANGLER WITH SILENTARMOR, WRANGLER TD, andGeneral Grabber AT2. Anyopions on these tires would begreat! Thanks!
Old September 1st, 2008, 2:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Tire Question-2004 silverado 1500 LS

By the fact you're waiting till now for new tires, I'm assuming you've got the Bridgestone V-Steel tires from the factory. Check, because if they're E-rated tires like mine, you may want to consider E-rated tires again.They are 10-ply tires which are designed similar to tractor-trailer tires, a dead giveaway is 80PSI inflation. Personally, I don't want to change from my Bridgestones because 65,000 miles and 4 years on one set of tires is a good run, IMO. They were tough in the dirt, and handled 8" curbs well, also. Run @180$ each, but IMO well worth every red cent.

245(width)75(height)16(rim size,probably 16x7) is standard issue. 265 is wider, and 70 is lower, so they're probably trying to give you a wider tire with a lower height to avoid rubbing the front wheel wells. They'll probably fit, but be sure to talk to someone who knows for certain before installing them on your truck. You'll lose gas economy with these 265/70/16 tires for two reasons, more rolling resistance with a wider tire, and a smaller overall wheel size, requiring more revolutions per mile.
Old September 1st, 2008, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Well no, i have the unirolay larados on them, though its the basic road tire. They look like micro machine tires on the truck. I am considering going w/ the 265/75R16 but was at work get prices and then realized that it was for the 70s and not 75s. So i am not sure. So far the truck hasnt been TOO BAD on MPGs considering. I just dropped a k&n filter in the OEM filter setup. I dont know if there is anything else i can do to up the mpgs/horse but that is a fun game to play they say. Any help w/ that would be helpful too. I get tires WAY cheaper than the 180. Most of the tires have a rating of E or 111,112,114(which is the metric rating i think?). This truck is my drive to work/hunting truck, that i just want to take care of, and I am ALL AMERICAN and say screw gas prices.....for now, LOL
Old September 1st, 2008, 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Hi'a
As rivereye tried to explain, the 3 numbers indicate measurments of the tire,
265 is the with of groundcontact) measured in millimeters,
75 is the height of the rubber from the rim out (also called profile), measured in percentage of the with (in this case 199 mm),
16 is the diameter of the rim measured in inches.

If you change the width of the tire you need to adjust the heigth in order to maintain ratio and mpg. Not taking into account the that wider tires allways takes more power to roll (more fuel).

Your rubber dealer will have charts to tell what dimensions are possible to replace your tires with. He will also be able to say if the tire can handle the load that your vehicle is licensed to handle (max load).
Changing to a bigger rim fex. 17" will make it necessary to go with a lower profile.

Old September 1st, 2008, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

OK. That helps explain a lot better. Some people like my dad, who is a mechanic, are like speaking frikin chinese. THanks for the help. ANY opions on the TIRES??? IE the brands
Old September 2nd, 2008, 2:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Choosing is so personal.
If you want low road noise, a good highway tire, pick one with a narrow pattern, ie. small cleats.
Good traction on dirt and off road, BIG cleats and open pattern.
Winter and summer? look for "all season".
Low price? Well, that one takes care of it self.
Good looks? Oh my, it's in the eye of the beholder, ain't it?
Fit the looks of your truck. You be the judge. In my case it would be the banged up look
Impress your friends. What kinda friends ya got?

Old September 2nd, 2008, 8:17 AM
CF Active Member

The 70 will be a little shorter, not much. I have seen for example in a 225/60/16 from brand to brand. the tread being a different width. The 225 part of that number is sidewall to sidewall at max inflation, not tread width. You can compare this yourself at a tire store. I've done it. 265/70's will work, but you will play hell finding them in anything but a P rated, maybe a C.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 3:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, it's a totally personal question
1. consider purpose of your driving. if you drive commuting and haul "hot air", no need for work tires, but more need for comfort
2. i have 6 ply toyos on one axle and i will never put a 6 ply, least to say - 10, on my truck. to the hell with 70 psi pressure, you driving on a rock! my regular alignment guy was just shaking his head - why in the world did i buy them so "heavy"? he said they are good for tow trucks. good, but too good.
3. if you shoot for looks - tire wells on slivie are BIG, so the lower you go on the 2nd number, the funnier it looks on the trucks. i have 4 265/75 and they still look too small for those tire wells.
4. if you wnat better mpg, k&n filter is good, then swap your plugs to HALOs, and change all your fluids to synthetis if truck is not taking oil or leaking from differentials and transfer case. tires wise - low rolling resistance tires will give you the best mpg for the buck.
also, the taller the tire, (2nd number) the more mpg you get. less road print=less resistance. ergo, 245/75 will give you less road print than 265/75. of course, if you are driving on snow, then larger print=better friction.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 2:20 AM
CF Beginner

I would also check out the Nitto All-terrains. i would proably go with a 32x12.50 or 10.50. they look cool and handle well on and off-road. I think discount is the main supplier of those if you had one close by. The more you pay the better the tire unless you get BFG then your paying for the name.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ShadowDelta

OK, here it is....I want to get some new tires for my truck. Currently it has 245/75R16. I am looking around and i work for a dealership and can get killer prices on tires. I was told the biggest i could get is 265/75R16 w/out rubbing on my truck. THis isnt the Z71 version, just the LS ext cab 4x4. I am looking at a bunch of tires. I was wondering if i could go w/ 265/70R16 (which is wider if i understand correctly) but dont know. ANY HELP would be nice. Here are the brands/tire i am looking at: Republic TRAIL MARK MAX, TRAIL MARK M/S RADIAL& TRAIL MARK RADIAL APR , Uniroyal LAREDO AWT, Goodyear WRANGLER WITH SILENTARMOR, WRANGLER TD, andGeneral Grabber AT2. Anyopions on these tires would begreat! Thanks!
You can put pretty much any size on the back without rubbing. I have read that if you twist the torsion bars a smidge up in the front you can go with a touch larger tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Question-2004 silverado 1500 LS