Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Towing a 4wd with two wheels up

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing a 4wd with two wheels up

I was in an accident where my vehicle had to be towed appx 10 miles with the back wheels up but the front 2 wheels on the ground. It is a 2006 4wd chevy silverado with the z71 package with the push button four wheel drive. It has 2 wheel drive, auto 4wd,4 high, 4 low. Do you think it could have caused any damage?

When I asked the tow guy about it he changed his story and said he put the front two wheels on a dolly, but then when he towed it from the impound lot to the repair shop I happened to be there when he dropped it off and he didnt not have it on a dolly that time either.
Thanks for any input you can give me.
Toreador
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing a 4wd with two wheels up

It all depends on what configuration the axle was in when he towed it. If you were not in 4WD at all, the front axle shoudl have then been in default a neutral position, but if your 4WD was engaged in any matter low or hi damage to equipment such as the transfer case or transmission could and I stress could result from the rotation of the tires causing th rest of the drivetrain to rotate as well. But like I said if the trucks 4WD was engaged, you might have an issue...
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look in your owners manual in the towing section. It will be very specific on the different ways that your truck can be towed and it will also show the ways not to tow your truck. I hope nobody was injured in your accident and I realize many folks are not thinking clearly after a stressful event like an auto accident, but I would always insist on a flatbed in the future just to be safe.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the feed back guys! I am almost postive it was in 2 wheel drive postion so hopefully it will be ok. I will check the owners manual too.
thanks!
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the 4wd was shut off nothing should have happend. its when the 4wd is on when it would do some damage