Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Towing & Brake Controller Question

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2010, 7:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aight, thanks maxxman. well guess I am gonna go install this brake controller in my truck then try to figure out what the deal is with the wiring on the camper.
Old June 13th, 2010, 7:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

take a test light to all the prongs on truck end just to make sure it's all good.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-trav...ug-wiring.html
Old June 13th, 2010, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

well, i just took my voltmeter to my truck end and checked some stuff again. I guess I must have not had a good contact on the ground or something last night. SO.. I have full 12v on the aux power pin. (good). The resistance between the ground pin and my frame is none (good). but, i checked voltage on the electric brakes pin and it has 10 volts. there must be a short to power somewhere. What I dont get is this. There is no brake controller in my truck right now. the wire coming from inside my truck, through the firewall, down the frame and connected to the electric brakes pin on my connector has 10v on it... but the resistance between that pin and the aux power pin is out of limits.. so the short to power cant be coming from the aux power supply wire (which runs right beside it all the way down the frame and DOES have 12v right now)??? so where is this wire getting its 10v from? i checked resistance between electric brakes pin on connector and all other pins on connector to make sure there wasnt an internal problem with my 7 way I just bought and installed and all of them were out of limits to that pin. I am about to overlay a wire from the firewall back to the connector and call it a day. lol any ideas man?
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

the trailer brake wire comes out at the firewall, drivers side, with the red aux wire. someone may have hooked the blue trailer wire up to a power source, or there may be something goofy in the plug on the truck itself. i'd pull this plug and make sure none of the wire strands are touching anything else.
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:45 AM
CF Junior Member

figured it out yesterday. It was a combination of my wires back at my plug not being spliced together 100% proffesional and once i fixed that the trailer brakes were still doing the same thing and it was the breakaway switch on the camper. Thanks for all the help maxxman
Old June 14th, 2010, 7:50 AM
CF Veteran

ah yes, the breakaway. glad you got it fixed.
Old June 20th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

yes sirr. thanks again. just got back from the beach this evening. Camper pulled great down there and everything went fantastic. My truck pulled it better than i was expecting as far as sway goes considering it is lifted. It did consume quite a bit of fuel though. I got 7 mpg pulling that thing. But it is down there now so I am just glad I didnt have any problems.
Old June 20th, 2010, 8:48 PM
CF Veteran

7mpg ain't bad towing. glad ya got it down there ok.