Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2016 | 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Towing Question

Hi,
I have a question for who ever can and is most knowledgeable to answer:
I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 cc sb 2wd 4.8 eng w/ 3.23 gears and a std 4 spd tranny with trailer switch on it and towing package.
Here is the question:
I am getting ready to possibly purchase a 2012 Passport grand Touring TT the dry weight on it is 5375 lb.
The owners manual says that the truck can pull 6800 lb. the door also shows 6700 lb.
I went to a dealer and they said that my standard towing capability with this truck is 4700 lb meaning the trailer I suppose , my gvrw is 6700 lb. So I'm like totally confused and the guys at the Chevrolet dealer could not elaborate on the numbers more than to say "you can tow it". I know on flat ground I could probably tow a horse trailer with 2 horses but I may not be able to do so on hilly terrain or in the mountains. I don't want to buy this trailer and not be able to tow it and end up paying for something I can't use.
I've looked on here and I have not had any luck with finding anything to support my question.
If there is anyone out there that has the knowledge to give me a credible answer I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks, Bayoukid.
Old January 29th, 2016 | 7:01 PM
Super Moderator

its listed in your owners manual.
Old January 30th, 2016 | 3:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Yes, your towing rating is 4700. The killer is the 3.23 rear. If you had the 3.73 rear, you could tow 7200.

This is the "bible" for RV towing ratings - CLICK HERE

Also, a 4.8 rcsb wouldn't make for a very enjoyable towing experience. Wheelbase is also a factor to consider when towing a travel trailer. Longer wheelbase = more stability.

The RV.net forum has TONS of information. It was where I went when I first got into towing 10 years ago. Lots of great members and info.

If you're looking to get into RVing seriously, buy more truck than you ever think you'll need. That's one of the reasons why I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. I broke the '01 half ton several times.
Old February 1st, 2016 | 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Yes, your towing rating is 4700. The killer is the 3.23 rear. If you had the 3.73 rear, you could tow 7200.

This is the "bible" for RV towing ratings - CLICK HERE

Also, a 4.8 rcsb wouldn't make for a very enjoyable towing experience. Wheelbase is also a factor to consider when towing a travel trailer. Longer wheelbase = more stability.

The RV.net forum has TONS of information. It was where I went when I first got into towing 10 years ago. Lots of great members and info.

If you're looking to get into RVing seriously, buy more truck than you ever think you'll need. That's one of the reasons why I have a 3/4 ton Suburban. I broke the '01 half ton several times.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.