Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

TPMS Silverado/Sierra

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Silverado/Sierra

Once I got new tires on my 2008 Silverado 2500, my TPMS light came on and needed to be relearned. I relearned the sensors as per the owners manual, but my pressures were only at 50 all around instead of 50 front and 80 rear, and the light won't go off and says check right and left rear tire pressure until I set the rear pressure at 80. I don't want or need to run my pressures that high in the rear, and can probably afford to run my front ones lower as well. Is there a way to set the pressures in the computer to accept a lower pressure rather than going by what's on the door?? What am I doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Old May 13th, 2008, 9:29 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: TPMS Silverado/Sierra

Can be changed with the tech 2 (gm dealership scan tool). It is in the module programing section RCDL (remote control door lock module). They will proberably charge for the programing.
Old May 13th, 2008, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

jr2k3_esq, welcome to the forum!!!
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: charlie pachanga

Can be changed with the tech 2 (gm dealership scan tool). It is in the module programing section RCDL (remote control door lock module). They will proberably charge for the programing.
Is there any other way?? truth be told, the silverado is our service truck ironically at a tire shop. With this new age of TPMS we have been avoiding learning how to do most of the relearns because the bosses fear change. We have been doing tires on lots of toyotas and a lot of them relearn themselves which is cool but it's going to bite us in the end some day soon. It's starting to now.

We put tires on a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HDtoday, upsized a little bit, set all the pressures at 50psi and when we flashed it up the message center said to check the pressures in the rear tires. (our silverado service truck done the same but we just didn't care). We relearned the sensors on the sierra with our relearn tool, as well as per the manual, and the display still said to check rear pressures. After the customer left we played with it on our silverado which is when we learned that at 80psi in the rear as per the door plaque the light went out and everything was good.

From what you are telling me, the only way to change the sensors to read 50psi (or a different pressure than the door spec)in the rear is at the dealer? and will be a charge service? will a universal ODBII code reader do anything with it?Please correct me if I am wrong

So far the whole issue and appearance of the TPMS system in vehicles has been a joke. Sure some people may see the light on and stop before their tire is ran flat and wrecked, or blows out. On the other hand we have replaced many so far as a result of other shops installing the wrong valve cores and having them corrode and weld in the stems, the wrong valve cap fusing itself to the stem, and the extra cost of labour for having it on your vehicle, and a result of error at the shop while working on them. They add up at $100 a piece.

Example: At our shop a typical flat repair on a car comes to $24.52 after taxes which includes the patch and whatever it needs. Now with the TPMS systems, we are required... or supposed to charge a $10 fee for a TPMS surcharge because your tire has a computer in it and needs more time to work with, as well as a fee of $79 to relearn your system if we need to. Your $25 flat repair has now became $115. This is disgusting, and unfortunatly where the market is going.

Thanks again for any info people may have and going through my rant, any more help would be appreciated.

-JR
Old May 14th, 2008, 9:49 AM
CF Active Member

Unfortuantely there is no other way to change (reprogram reciever) except with the GM Tech 2 and the Candi module (LAN BUS interface). The programer you are using is only exciteting the tire pressure transmitter in the sensor. The Good ones will send a ID request form each individual sensor. Thesesensors work of RFID. Yes, I would expect the dealer will charge for this reprograming of tire pressure threshold.
As far as GM is concerned those wheelsand tires are not what the vehicle left the plant with. Therefore any modifications will be payed for by the owner of the vehicle. I recomend every tech, whether they are mechanics, electrical speciaist, transmission or tire techs spend the money in training and tools needed for the jobs or vehicle line they will work on.

The TPMS system is federally mandated by the U.S. Government. You can thank all the law suit crazy people that sued Ford and Firestone.
If a person/driver does not properly maintain their vehicle there will always be problems, but there always individuals that want to blame or sue someone else.
As far as pricing or charges of maintaining your vehicle who is to pay for the price of technology and training. Sometechs have spent alot of money on training (trade schools) and tools, should they be expected to do work for free. Doctors/lawyers/accountants charge money for a 15 minute visit.
We all have to pay taxes and Uncle Sam does not care if you help a little old lady or not they only care about income.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

I thinkcharlie pachangamisunderstood my initial message. We kept OEM wheels on all of the GM/Chevrolet trucks we have worked on so far, and have only changed tires and sizes. I realise that the TPMS system is mandatory in the states in all vehicles produced in 2008 and newer. I also realise that there are a lot of retards out there looking for the blame game when their vehicle breaks down as a result of improper maintance. I am also aware of why the TPMS system was designed as a result of the firestone/ford ordeal.

I am writing from Canada where the TPMS systems are not required, but simply just in most new vehicles sold in canada because a lot of them are built in the states.

How many options do you have of the sensors once you are in the programming section of the module?? are you able to set the max and min pressure allowable before the light comes on?

I used our service truck as a test today to see what pressures I could reach before the light came on warning high, or low pressure. The door plaque reads 50psi in the fronts, and 80psi in the rears, we were running them at 50 and ignoring the check pressure message in the cab.
Here's what I found:
With the plaque reading 50psi for the fronts as an operating pressure, I was able to go as low as 40psi before it registered I needed to check the pressure. I was able to go as high as 75psi, before it registered I needed to check the pressure.

With the plaque reading 80psi for the rears as an operating pressure, I was able to go as low as 65psi before it registered I needed to check the pressure. I was able to go as high as 95psi, before it registered I needed to check the pressure.

In theory the computer is set to flash a problem if the rears are 15psi low or high, and the fronts are 10psi low or 25psi high? Can you change that while you are resetting it with the tech tool?

My test raised more questions... We do a set of tires on a new Chev or GMC 2500. We set the pressures to 45 or 50psi on all four. He gets the computer retrained and everything is good reading 45 or 50as normal. He then buys a camper or tows a trailer and raises his rear air pressures to accomodate the load. His light comes on because the rear pressure is too high, and has to get his computer retrained again to accept the higher pressure set for the rear?? If this was to be a charge service there would be trucks returned everywhere, I was told today that the relearn is a 20 minute service and you need to book an appointment and hope they can get at it that day.

I went to my local GM dealer today, and the fellow there got just as frusterated with the situation as I was because they are having calls every day about the TPMS system and problems. "Three this morning in fact" he told me.He was unable to confirm my theory about the pressures and answer my question about a happy medium pressure to reset the computers at, but he did tell me it would be a warranty thing because these are all new vehicles (a truck we replaced tires on yesterday had 117km on it).

Any more insight on this would be appreciated, as this is an issue (in canada anyways) that tire shops and dealers are going to have to sort out together to avoid unhappy customers for both parties. Thanks in advance

-JR