Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Transfer case or front differential

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer case or front differential

I have a 1999 2500 454 silverado electronic 4wd when shifted in 4wd and when the wheel is turned it clunks hard! I have pulled the driveshafts and want to know what to look for and witch case to open transfer or differential? it sounds like it is coming directly from differential but then why whould turning affect it? help me get started or refer to a previous post if applicable btw fluid from diff is thin black w vary thin metallic dust visible is this normal any ideas as i will be starting back up on it in the morning
Ivan
thank you
Old May 16th, 2009, 9:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, for starters, you should change that fluid right away...

driveaxles bind in tight turns in 4wd mode on dry surface. it's a mechanical differential, not viscous, so it does not tolerate different angular wheel speeds.
Old May 17th, 2009, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sound like you know what you are talking about but I dont understand I have driven a bronco for years and am used to the "jump" in tight turns on dry pavement but this isent the case. It obvously is not supposed to happen as a "slip" what im trying to identify is whats broke and repair replace as needed im starting my dissasemly today and WILL! be checking back hourly
BTW when you say it does not tolerate different angular wheel speeds is that a symptom or a manufacture problem?
thanks for the prompt help its my grandfathers truck and he wont leave the house w/o his truck
Ivan
Again thanks