Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

transmission to engine bolts??? weird...

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2006, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission to engine bolts??? weird...

Hi, im in the process of removing engine out of my 89 1500 w/ 350 and everything has been removed except 2 bolts. there are 3 bolts on each side of the tranny that bolt to the engine, none of them have been a problem except the ones in the middle that seem to have holes, and there is a bolt inside each hole on each side of the tranny. no socket can get into that hole in order to remove that bolt and i cleaned the hole out and it doesnt seem like its torx bolts either. it seems like thats wats holding the engine and im out of ideas of how to get them out any suggestions would be helpful...thanks!
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: transmission to engine bolts??? weird...

its been 2 years since i pulled my motor out so my memory is a little fuzzy but i dont remember anything unusual about the bolts, i beleive they are just like the other 4 . i might have had to use a real thin walled socket. ive even ground sockets down on a grinder to get them thin enuff to get in some holes. if i can ill crawl under my truck today and have a look asgain to see what it looks like.
Old December 10th, 2006, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

the 2 holes your seeing is the mounting or positioning dowels . the rest of the bolts are up above those. the ones near the top of the bell housing are kind of rough to get to . you need a 2 ft. extension for your socket and go in from back of the trans over the tail shft. area
Old December 10th, 2006, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

ok so let me see if i get this right... is there a bolt inside those dowels or is it just a stud to line up tranny w/ motor? as far as grinding down sockets, sounds like a good idea but im gonna have to find some crappier sockets to grind on. thanks i appreciate it!!!
Old December 10th, 2006, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

yes those are just a non threaded stud stcing out from the motor to help line up the trans to engine. look more youll see the rest of them up hier. you shouldnt have to do any socket grinding for those.