Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but they probaly did it when the truck was newer and it is a1999 i want to know on a older truck
Old April 28th, 2009, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha , I hear ya there. Maybe try using adhesive remover by spraying it inside there before pulling it off, just a thought.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 28th, 2009 at 5:18 PM.
Old April 28th, 2009, 5:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah ill try that and prolly a heat gun
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

ive removed some off my truck. even though its a 2000 its the same concept. you have to go slow and most likly use a blade to get it offdont worry about tape on the truck at first just get the trim off. then go back after and get as much tape off as possible then get some GOO GONE to get the sticky off. if you have some old paint it may chip if you try to pull it straight off so be careful
Old April 29th, 2009, 2:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude like I said I just did my 96 my friends and I have been taking this tacky looking crap off all our trucks especially the guys in the older S10s and I have never seen any paint chipping off those trucks, if your going to try a chemical use 3m adhesive remover. There are two strips of 3m tape on the trim for your doors and bed on at the very top and at the bottom. Squirt the adhesive remover all along a whole strip and let it soak for a few minutes, this will not only weaken the glue but it will also weaken the tape after that get one end started and SLOWLY pull it back over itself you will be less likely to chip paint than if you pull it straight out. Then just rub with your thumb to remove the remaining tape. If you remove the big tailgate tag or whatever you want to call it the whole thing is one big friggin patch of 3m tape. Try a small piece and see what happens but if you go slow I can almost gaurantee no problems with paint. Just dont forget to wash underneeth there then use a good cleaner wax to make it look better.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

I had removed some stickers from a mazda truck I once had, and all I did was let it sit in the sun for a few hours, and had a hair dryer/heat gun to assist, and it literely peeled off, wax/buff smooth and clean. It took awhile cause I had to turn the car around after the first side was done. and FYI I did this within the first year of having the vehcile, I would not expect same result if they are already cracking and peeling, and hardened.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

TheGen58. I don't think you're really using your head here. Not saying that you haven't done a lot of jobs like this and every one of them have come out perfectly. But I did mine exactly how you said and it still left the lines on top and bottom of the strip. It's an older truck. Paint is eventually going to go through some wear and tear. And obviously you don't know that Chevy changed their paint formula from sometime around 88-95. It's the worst paint formula they've ever used, hence the oxidizing of the paint. Suzuki, we both have almost the exact same truck. Just be very careful and take your time. I'm having to repaint my truck because of the oxidization and the lines that the strip left... But don't scare away from it. I've seen trucks with the crap on it still and it looks like ****. Slow and steady and it will look great. Use some type of rubber or plastic blade and your woman's hair dryer. I'm telling you it will work perfectly. Actually whoever posted the link has a very good step by step process.
Old April 29th, 2009, 3:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't mind the bowtie on the front grill, but I absolutely agree, all those stickers all over the truck look really tacky. Unless you've got posi-traction front and rear, you're truck's not really a 4X4, anyway.

I also removed mine as a theft-deterrent.
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Senior Member

my truck's got posi traction front back side to side. and its 2wd. actually no i got a stupid open rear end with a one tire fire. but yea the paint on older models is poopy. im re-spraying my passanger side and doing some body work so im just cutting the trim off and putting it the "truck parts" box. thats where all my oem parts go. and if your not painting, i saw a video on youtube and he used wd40 and let it eat the tape. then pryed very very slowly. or... get fish line and pull. but you have time so use it to your side. rush jobs get the bad kind of attention. YOU CAN DO IT!!! -tony little-
Old March 5th, 2010, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

hey that link mike put up took a dump, gets a 404 (probably too old)...sorry to bump an stale thread but i was just curious about trim removal -- i have the chrome on the rockers and i dont know how much i like all the gawdy chrome... but i really dont want a sticky mess all over the side of my damn truck...anyways thanks, im a noob to your forum.

1996 by the way... check out my pics youll see what im dealing with (if you want)

Quick Reply: Trim Removal