Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trouble Starting

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Starting

I have a 2000 chevy silverado, and about when it hit 138000, it started having starting problems. Its seems like the engine isnt getting enough gas or similar to that, becuase if i push on the gas and start it, itll start up fine, and also when its cold like its gettin extra gas to speed up the idle to warm up.the fuel pump is new. i heard it could be like a throttle body sensor or some sensor of the sort. Any help is appreciated, Thankls , Steve
Old January 8th, 2007, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Trouble Starting

Ok...Hope this helps..

Call the dealership and ask them what the best way to clean your throttle body is. My 2000 started sticking and running a higher RPM, basically the throttle was sticking but since my truck was a manual it didnt cause a dangerous situation. I would clean it and replace the sensor if that doesnt work.

On the other side of your problem.....have you replaced your fuel filter? It 30 bucks and just under the drivers door on the frame rail, 30min job. I cant think of anything else since you have already changes your fuel pump....

Good Luck and hope my advice doesnt get you even further off base! [X(]
Old January 8th, 2007, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, just clean the exterior of the throttle body using some type of degrease spray. I would call the dealer to see if there is any type of spray they might suggest. After reading my post I didnt specifycleaning the exterior of the throttle body only. I didnt want you to read my post and have your throttle body in the bathtub soaking tonight....
Old January 8th, 2007, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah... i replaced the fuel filter about two weeks after the fuel pump, which was in about early sept. I took the intake off today and cleaned the throttle body becuase i have had it stick on me before, but it would stick closed. But after cleaning it, the engine still just doesnt seem like its gettin enough gas at start-up. i failed to mention in my first thread that the engin eonly does this when its hot. thats why i said something about it being cold and gettin extra fuel to warm up.
Old January 8th, 2007, 8:48 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: firerfighter521

Yeah... i replaced the fuel filter about two weeks after the fuel pump, which was in about early sept. I took the intake off today and cleaned the throttle body becuase i have had it stick on me before, but it would stick closed. But after cleaning it, the engine still just doesnt seem like its gettin enough gas at start-up. i failed to mention in my first thread that the engin eonly does this when its hot. thats why i said something about it being cold and gettin extra fuel to warm up.
If it's only doing this when hot soaked you may have a problem with the pressure regulator.
Old January 8th, 2007, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Is there any way to check it besides plugging in a guage to the threaded port on the right side of the motor