Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trouble starting and don't know where to start to fix

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2009, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting and don't know where to start to fix

I have a 2001 Silverado and it has a problem starting on the first try , but 99% of the time will start on the second try . It seems like if I drive it to the store or something and come back out it starts right up . Also when it sits overnight it starts right up unless the gas is like below 1/4 of a tank . It seems like it is in that 1-5 hour window that it sits it wont start on first try . I have changed plugs, wires and fuel filter .Anybody had this problem ? Any answers ?

If this has been posted before , sorry I am new to board .
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Clean Throttle Position Sensor
Old March 23rd, 2009, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

How do I clean it ? It looks like a pain to get off . Do I have to take it off ? I thought the problem could be the MAF sensor but I changed it yesterday and still not wanting to crank on first try .
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A lot of '00s,'01s, '02s still have the original battery. Many large parts stores will check it for free, have it tested. Battery cables corrode on the inside of the insulation after a few years, for the cost, it's worthwhile to level the playing field, and make sure you've got a strong battery and new cables.
Old May 4th, 2010, 4:37 PM
Banned

Default Hard starting 6.0

Had a spark plug wire issue so replaced them and it took care of problem of loss of power at high rpms. the truck has a dual stage coil system that burnt one wire for a loss of high rpm power. now a year later i'm noticing a surge at idle and loss of power and same high rpm problem. This is a completely diffenerent problem. So I chased down the problem to the fuel pressure regulator. Coil packs I heard are not prone to be at fault. And over the last couple of years, parts needed to be changed part by part i've basically changed and maintained everything from fuel pump to filter to wires and plugs on schedule and this has gotten me for the last three weeks. now i'm realizing that this must be it. I ordered the regulator today and hopefully I'll be posting 2morro with the good news!!
Old May 4th, 2010, 5:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your battery may be shot in the cold cranking amps dept.
Go to kragen or O'riley, they will hook a thing up to your battery and it tests your whole electrical system including cold cranking amps, altenator, voltage and more for free.
If it is a simple fix, that tool should let you know.
Also check your air filter, if it is dirty and starving your engine of air that may give you a similar problem.
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What's the mileage?

I had an old 350 engine which just wouldn't start hot. Would kick over and run great till you turned it off. After considerable troubleshooting, we just wrote it off to badly worn valves, although it could have been a balky head gasket I suppose...
Old May 5th, 2010, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default starting problems

I have a 2 month a ago a similar problem in a Z71 2001 silverado, and the problem was the Fuel pump, change for a new fuel pump with the new system conectors. and I solve the prblems.