Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck Broke Down :(

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 7:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Broke Down :(

I have a '99 K1500 with the 5.7 motor. I loaned it to a friend because he was moving and pulling a trailer. Apparently while he was driving it just quit as he was going down the highway. Now the truck will crank over but make no other sign of trying to start. A few weeks ago I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs because it was running a little rough, and it was running amazing up until this point. The battery is less than a year old. As far as I can tell I don't have spark, I took a plug out and grounded it to the motor and could not see a spark. I replaced the coil since then, and tested the crank position sensor and ignition control module, both testing good according to my Haynes manual. All the fuses are good. I took the cap off and the rotor does spin when the motor turns over. So...is there a better way to test for spark? I need to rule that out before I can move onto other things, such as possibly the fuel pump. The pump primes when I start it, but maybe there's not enough pressure.

Sorry this is so long-winded, I just wanted to provide all the info. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you have any ideas or other troubleshooting methods, I'd be more than willing to try them.
Old June 5th, 2011, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

I pulled codes yesterday, and I got P1351. Tried to look around online but couldn't find anything that hasn't been replaced/checked already.
Old June 6th, 2011, 1:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I was driving down the road once and my truck quit on me. Tried cranking it, but it woudn't turn over. Paid a $120.00 towing fee to my mechanic.

The problem.....There was a sensor, chip (don't remember the mumble jumble)...it ceased working which prevent the truck from working properly.

Paid $170 for the repair and havn't had a problem since.
Old June 6th, 2011, 9:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Well my truck turns over, just won't show any signs of actually starting. I'm about to give up and take it in. I'll keep this updated to let everyone know what it was.
Old June 12th, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I know a lot of people don't post up what solved their problem, so I wanted to make sure I did. It ended up being the rotor, pretty unbelievable. The electrode apparently bent somehow, and was sending the spark down through the distributor instead of out through the cap.