Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

True Flow XDI Air intake, Any opinions on the NBS 07 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Flow XDI Air intake, Any opinions on the NBS 07 Silverado?

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has usedthe True Flow XDIintake on their NBS silverado? I am trying to compare and find out which one i want to get. I know K&N is a good product but this also looks like a very good product as well. And also has anyone installed an Airaid throttle body spacer on their NBS Silverado? I will be purchasing this and was curious if anyone had good luck with it on their truck. Thanks for the input!
Old February 7th, 2008, 3:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: True Flow XDI Air intake, Any opinions on the NBS 07 Silverado?

Heres my two cents. I wouldnt mess with anything other than Volant. Ive had K&N, Airaid, & Street and performance products. None of them compare to the Volant system I had on my last truck. I dont have it on my Silverado yet, but its on my list. Check it out for yourself at www.volant.com It uses plastic, which unlike metal, doesnt heat up the incoming air as much. The whole point of a cold air intake, more air andcool air. I wouldnt buy anything thats metal, common sence tells you that the heat from the engine is gonna heat up the metal pipe and heat up the incoming air, right. Volant uses a bigger air box, sealed from the engine compartment, unlike some other brands. It also draws air from two places instead of just one, like most CAI's. It draws air from the wheelwell and from a ram air duct under the vehicle on most kits. It costs a little more, but is well worth it in my opinion. As far as throttle body spacers, I had one on my ford, couldnt tell any diffrence at all in performance or fuel economy. The only thing I noticed was this annoying whistle everytime I accelerated. I took it off. Hope this helps. Oh, and I dont know anything about true flow, I know that was your original question, sorry. But Volant is worth checking out before you make a descision.
Old February 7th, 2008, 9:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Ok, I researched True Flow XDI, this is what I came up with. First off, they use foam filters. Foam filters are no good. Secondly, like I stated before, the whole system is made out of mandrel bent "metal" tubing. Although its mandrel bent, its still metal, and metal is an excellent conductor of heat. Hot air equals little gains in hp and torque and bad fuel economy. Fuel atomizes better with cooler air, proven fact. Third, I couldnt find any proof to back up there claims of the high horsepower gains, I would be skeptical. While on another thread in this forum, I discovered another really good product you should really consider. www.sbfilters.com They are around $200. Also check out www.thetruthaboutfilters.com Its several videos. It also says in there, backing it up with proof, why foam filters are no good, and if you look close enough, the one they tested, is a true flow filter. The S&B looks just as good if not better than the Volant and is cheaper, I definatley will be purchasing one. Check out the links, read the other thread in here on intakes, and do a little research. I know we work hard for our money.

Best of Luck
Old February 8th, 2008, 9:38 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks fireman i appreciate the input, i have looked briefly at the S&D and i think that is where i will head to after i do some more research on it. i think the TB spacer is a good match with a CAI so i will probably try both and see how it goes. this forum is definately helping me out, i am glad i found it and became a member! THANKS AGAIN!
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:07 AM
CF Senior Member

TB spacer in my opinion is a gimmick. In my younger days I had one, and I bought one of those tornado thingy's for a diffrent vehicle. Their all the same. You wont notice any diffrence in HP or fuel mileage. The only thing you get is this annoying whistle everytime you accelerate.
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know wheather or not chevy is still putting vortec heads on these newer engines, butI have been told (and it kind of makes sense) that putting a swirel TB spacer on a vortec engine is pointless, because the vortec heads are already spinning and mixing the fuel andair. Just a thought.
Old February 8th, 2008, 1:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Good point!
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes... even with thenon-vortec Chevy engines they are pointless. The toronado things are worse than the TB spacers. They restrict airflow instead of improving it.
Old February 9th, 2008, 7:27 AM
CF Junior Member

well honestly i have seen the benefits of the airaid tb spacer for myself, a buddy of mine put one on his 91 silverado 350 and he increased his mileage dramatically, about 30-50 miles per tank depending on how heavy his foot was. his family ownes all chevys, a 2003 trailblazer with a vortec motor, a 94 silverado 350, and a 1999 cavalier z24, all of those vehicles had a noticeable difference in both gas mileage and mid range acceleration after using the tb spacer. i guess it depends on what vehicle you are putting it on and how heavy your foot is honestly. oh and on all 4 vehicles that i have personally driven, none of them have the "annoying whistle". im going to give it a shot with a S&B CAI and a cat back flowmaster 40 exhaust. ill let you guys know if i have any positive or negative results, everything is being ordered today!
Old February 9th, 2008, 9:29 AM
CF Senior Member

After thinking about it, I had a helix TB spacer, maybe thats where the "whistle" came from. As far as your claim about 30-50 miles per tank, not even the manufacturer claims it gives you that much of an increase. Thats a little over exagerated.

Quick Reply: True Flow XDI Air intake, Any opinions on the NBS 07 Silverado?