Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

True HID's on New Silverado

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: True HID's on New Silverado

How is the installation of the 6000K HID system? I'm not a mechanic but will do minor stuff. I have an 08 Silverado. Is the 6000K the best light for replacement of the stock lights? I also have DRL. Also - I'm assuming this is the replacement of the bulb and harness only and that the exterior part of the light remains in tact and that these are sold only in pairs. BTW - price for these lights have come down some to $142 at http://www.aandrmotorsport.com/ Thanks -
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a bit unconvinced of the following:

PS: word of advice from a professional firefighter, kits without a relay kit (the ones that just "plug and play" into your factory headlight harness) is a bad idea, its a hit or miss. Youve got a 50%, 50% chance of burning your vehicle to the ground!!! Ive seen it a handfull of times. Be carefull. Remember that HID's require high voltage to start up drawing lots of current, then drop down to 12 volts and 35 watts to maintain. The small guage wiring of your factory headlight harness is not meant to handle that kind of current draw, WILL heat up andcould melt or catch fire. The "good" kits, come with relay's and larger power wires that run directly to the battery, and only use the headlights wiring harness for switching (tells the relay when to turn on and off), when you turn your headlights on and off. Just my 2 cents from experience.
In nearly all of the HID systems your OEM wiring never experiences any voltage greater than approx 12 V (same 12V power to the HID transformer rather than the OEM light). All of the high voltage wiring is contained in the HID kit wiring. Second, while the kits use a 20,000v transformer to excite the gas in order for it to ignite, the current draw of a 35W HID bulb(35w/12v = 2.92 A) is less than for a typical 55W bulb (55/12 = 4.6A). Even at start up the instantanous current would be higher with the factory bulb than the HID bulb

I would suspect that that poor installation, or low quality/cheap kits are the real cause of these electrical fires, but not the fact that the OEM wiring can't handle the HID lights.
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hello, i also have DRL on my low beams and i bought my kit from www.xenonhidconversionkit.com and its working fine on my silverado 2007. I called the company and tell them about the DRL and they told me the only ballast on the market that will work with DRL is the canbus ballast 55w and they were right. I ordered it with the fog light hid kit and the kit for the low beams work perfectly. NO flickering.
Old December 15th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

i have 07 silverado with hid daytime running lights in canada nvr flicker i got mine for 140$ wired myself pretty sure they are HID Ignited the company not 100% sure
Old March 12th, 2012, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

i also have DRL on my low beams and i bought my kit from www.manyadeal.com and HID Ignited the company 100% sure.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 9:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey, im new to the forum. Please help me. Im interested in HIDs, but I still want them to run as my drl's. Is that possible?? I have a company I have been looking at online called simplyhidkits.com but I would like to know if there are better places out there. Ireally dont want to lose my drl's either. Please help.
Old September 11th, 2012, 2:25 AM
CF Active Member

www.hidkitxenonlights.com
6000K kit
Warning canceller
55watt bulbs & Ballast

This kit is a good quality product and i love how crisp it is.
Old November 17th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

I was wondering if it would be possible to get this info from you.

Thanks...