Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

tune the truck?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune the truck?

i was thinking about a "tune" for my truck. 2012 2500HD with 4000 miles! is this the time to do it or should i wait for the warranty to run out. i did a search on this and some have told others that after 100,000 miles it is too late to tune the truck. i tuned my dodge and it helpped alot with the gas mileage and tranny issues. just thinking about it.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's up to you. Tune it if you want, but if you have to go in for warranty work, they'll know and probably void your warranty because of it
Old November 11th, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

i fiqured that it would.
Old November 11th, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Active Member

yeah there is a procedure in place before the dealer is authorized to do any major repairs. I actually have the procedure if you want to read it. In summary, the dealer has to take a digital picture of the Tech II scan of your truck with the current tune (which displays the current tune and when it was last updated). If this picture does not match the information on file with GM warranty then they will assume you put an aftermarket tune on the truck and then removed it just prior to bringing it to the dealer. This procedure is to ensure that the good ol boy dealerships were not covering for their customers. Kinda crappy but there is way around this.

If you purchase a second PCM from Black Bear tunes, you can have them flash this second pcm and install it. However, and this is important, ANY TIME you take your truck to the dealer (no mater how insignificant) you have to reinstall your old PCM. Because they may do a dealer update to your programming when you go in for a basic oil change. If you failed to swap out your PCM then your second one gets the flash and now your original PCM programming will not be the same as the programming the warranty department has on file.

Although this is a costly option, it is the only way I have discovered (through research) that you can get around this.

OR you can wait until the 100k power train warrant is up!!!

Hope this helps

Eric
Old November 11th, 2012, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ that is correct. But believe there is a way that they can still tell if it was altered. Because of the fact that you'd have to change the ECM to the stock one, they can tell when I was last changed. But I'm not completely sure on that one
Old November 12th, 2012, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

thanks guys. i aint doing nothing to it
Old November 12th, 2012, 5:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by country_09
^ that is correct. But believe there is a way that they can still tell if it was altered. Because of the fact that you'd have to change the ECM to the stock one, they can tell when I was last changed. But I'm not completely sure on that one

Correct,The dealership can still tell whats going on if you have a second ECM with your performance tune and switch it back.

Over on my 5th Gen Camaro forum( I own a Supercharged 2011 SS) we have confirmed this.
GM is smarter than that,believe me they have all the bases covered when is comes to messing with the factory loaded ECM tunes.

So to anyone out there that thinks you can switch them out,don't be fooled.

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play

Last edited by 67Motorcat; November 12th, 2012 at 5:59 PM. Reason: added
Old November 18th, 2012, 9:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
Correct,The dealership can still tell whats going on if you have a second ECM with your performance tune and switch it back.

Over on my 5th Gen Camaro forum( I own a Supercharged 2011 SS) we have confirmed this.
GM is smarter than that,believe me they have all the bases covered when is comes to messing with the factory loaded ECM tunes.

So to anyone out there that thinks you can switch them out,don't be fooled.

Bottom line is you gotta pay to play
thanks 67, I always wondered if they could tell if the ECM had been swapped. guess that answers that question.