Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Two questions on wheels and brakes 96 Silverado 3 door.

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Two questions on wheels and brakes 96 Silverado 3 door.

#1 Why is the brake fluid black?
#2 What is the remedy for the black brake fluid?
#3 Is there a junkyard or factory parts way to change the current 1996 Chevy Silverado 5 lug to a Chevy six lug set-up?
(AdaptUSA.. charges 100. per wheel.)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dark brake fluid is usually due to 1)age 2)water 3 contamination. I'm no expert, but I usually change my brake fluid every couple of years (that way I don't have to change my master cylinder or slave cylinders....)

My method is to have a vacuum pump of some kind (even the intake of an air compressor), and a quart glass fruit jar with a couple of copper tubing fittings soldered to the metal top. You plumb it with some nylon tubing, and use it to suck the yucky fluid out of your master cylinder into the jar, fill the reservoir with fresh, then starting at the back, put the tubing over the brake cylinder nipple, loosen, and let it suck the old fluid out until you see new fluid. Do on each wheel, starting at the back and then the fronts.

You can replace the fluid by having someone put pressure on the brake peddle, put a tube over the nipple and loosen until the brake peddle hits the floor, tighten and repeat, but that takes two people, a lot of "up" "down" call outs, and worst, it makes your master cylinder go through portions that haven't been used before, which will cause wear.

Just my method.

Frank