Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Unleashing the 6.0 Vortec!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2008, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unleashing the 6.0 Vortec!

[last question from me for now]

I know trucks are by no means meant for speed, and to be honest, my 1500hd is no slouch, but I still feel like it's missing out on what it could be. I've always felt that 300hp out of a 6.0 is a little less than ideal.
Are there any cheap quick and easy modifications to make my engine less restricted? I don't necessarily want a loud truck, so exhaust is out of the question for now.. I'm thinking like a more efficient air intake (K&N is a yes or a no?) and stuff along those lines.
I just read a couple posts about PCM tuners. Depending on how expensive they run, I'd be willing to look into them.
Also on youtube I saw someone mentioned removal of the "air box/fenderwell restrictor." I'm not quite sure what he meant by this. Intake silencer? Small tasks like this make me happy even if there is no noticeable gain. The placebo effect ftw.

I'm being realistic here; I know it's not a Corvette and I don't want it to be. I just want to make the most of it within reason.
This is where you guys come in!

Any ideas? Links?
Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2008, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Unleashing the 6.0 Vortec!

Most people will tell you that adding stuff will gain you nothing, but I gained a little power, throttle response, and 1-2 MPG after adding a CAI and Cat back system to my '95 1500.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO, the K&N Cold Air Intake was the key. It opens the engines throttle response, giving you usable RPMs almost instantly. The actual increase in horsepower is negligible, but the vehicle's reaction time goes from so-so to INSANE. If you've got 410 gears, watch out. This should give you all the horsesyou need under most conditions.
Old November 17th, 2008, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

custom tune by nelson performance with 80% torque mangement deleted.