Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Voltage Swing

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Swing

Hello everyone, hope all is well with you!

On my 2006 Silverado, I noticed that the voltage will start out at around 14.8 volts, but later the voltage will drop to 12.8 volts over a few minutes. When the voltage drops, it stays there until I turn off the engine and start it back up. At one time, the battery and alternator was changed, but no change in what it does. There is no driving problems or starting issues. The only issue comes about when I use my 1000 watt inverter. Some times the inverter will alarm, then shut off and then back on.

When the voltage drops to 12.8v, is the voltage regulator engaging, or tripping out?

Is there another component that I should look at or replace other than the alternator or battery?

Battery terminals are clean and tight. Ground cable connection seems to okay also?

Looking forward to your advice!
Old May 5th, 2011, 7:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like your system is working as it should just cant keep up with the mmassive draw.
Old May 5th, 2011, 3:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

forumsKDC, are you performing all of the work yourself on the vehicle? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a module on the negative cable that monitors the alternator output and battery and will shut off the charging in order to keep from over charging the battery. i have the same issue with my truck and then i discovered that when i took it in for service.