Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vortec v6 to older v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec v6 to older v8 swap

I am in the process of gathering intel to find out if this swap is even going to be possible. I have a '97 c1500 w/t with a 4.3/5speed. I have an older (pre-1986) 350 that I am wanting to drop in it's place. I have concerns about the crank sensor & if it can be bypassed or made functional on an older motor. I had planned on leaving the stock tank & fuel pump & just regulating the pressure down to where it needs to be for a carb. If I remember correctly, the fel pump will not run until it sees the crank rotating.

Another issue is the distrubutor. What will the computer do if it can not correct timing? And would it even send the correct info to my tach?

Has anyone succesfully accomplished this swap?

What other issues am I missing?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to run new power wire to the fuel pump and use a HEI distributor from a earlier engine.
Old September 24th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiegearhead
I am in the process of gathering intel to find out if this swap is even going to be possible. I have a '97 c1500 w/t with a 4.3/5speed. I have an older (pre-1986) 350 that I am wanting to drop in it's place. I have concerns about the crank sensor & if it can be bypassed or made functional on an older motor. I had planned on leaving the stock tank & fuel pump & just regulating the pressure down to where it needs to be for a carb. If I remember correctly, the fel pump will not run until it sees the crank rotating.

Another issue is the distrubutor. What will the computer do if it can not correct timing? And would it even send the correct info to my tach?

Has anyone succesfully accomplished this swap?

What other issues am I missing?

you really have only two choices:
#1 I prefer, switch everything "electronics" over, if you have a 4.3, the CPS and cover will switch, will need V8 4 lobe reluctor. then will need V8 Vortec distributor, and a multiport injection that will fit your motor. ECM can be retained but need reprogramming, wires ran for the 2 missing injectors - V6 to V8, of corse a lot of time spent in the schematics figgureing out how to wire the thing up could even go with the '411 LS ECM, it is way cool.
#2 go with a carb, HEI, and a 4L60 "pre 93" non electronic cannot run an electronic trans with a non electronic motor!!!
I have a 327 under a tuned port, runs but am having issues with the cam and TPI is not designed to work with short stroke motors, I am in the process of rebuilding a 1980's 400 to go under the TPI, search for "Tuned Port conversion" and see the progress send me your Phone # via personal message (do not post it on public domain) and I will explain further

Last edited by tinbender59; September 24th, 2010 at 9:18 PM.