Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?

How many degrees cooler and how many horsepower? You must be joking. Oil doesn't create horsepower. And your temp gauge shows the same with all oils. Radiator, waterpump and t- stat might affect the temp. I use synthetic for cold start, gas mileage and longevity. stop fooling yourself into thinking the oil is doing things that it cannot.
Old June 17th, 2007, 7:29 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: Waboom!!

How many degrees cooler and how many horsepower? You must be joking. Oil doesn't create horsepower. And your temp gauge shows the same with all oils. Radiator, waterpump and t- stat might affect the temp. I use synthetic for cold start, gas mileage and longevity. stop fooling yourself into thinking the oil is doing things that it cannot.
You can visit RP's web site and see independant dino tests on vehicles that have had various fluids swapped over to RP( from just oil to just gear oil to all fluids ). They have independant documentation of 5-10 HP+ gains, as well as temp drops,on the different vehicles. Of course other synthetics would achieve similar results and it is not JUST oil giving the gains. The oil does give small HP gains though. Common sense tells you that as does physics.The way this is achieved is through reduced friction in the drivetrain which robs HP.Not a myth or old wives tale. Synthetic's actually do increase power because they reduce friction( also how they reduce temp ).

As to the temp issue. 1st off a temp gauge unless it uses numbers is hard to tell exactly what temp you are running at. Factory gauges with L-H, and a few marker lines in between,on the gauge don't tell you much. As to the t-stat controlling temp you are correct. However, running synthetic oil will lower your operating temp a little. If you add in some coolant additive such as Royal Purple's PURPLE ICE it will lower it quite a bit( I have seen a 10 degree drop in one of my muscle cars with a digital gauge ).

Now, it WON'T lower it below the temp your t-stat is rated for. It will reduce the temp the engine reaches above that t-stat rating. If you have say a 195 degree t-stat all that means is the t-stat will stay closed until your engine reaches 195 degrees, and then at 195 degrees, it opens to allow coolant through. Your coolant is not going to stay at 195 degrees however. NOPE! It might hit as high as say 210 degrees at full operating temp.

That heat comes from the friction in your engine. By reducing the friction you reduce the heat. We are not talking operating temps of 180 with a 195 t-stat but we are talking cooler temps( probably 200 or so ). I have seen the most drastic temp drop when I combine running RP oil and the Purple Ice. A good 5-10 degree drop. Again, keep in mind, it doesn't mean less than the t-stat temp. That t-stat temp however is NOT what your engine will definitely run at once warmed up however. Generally it is much hotter than that.

Pretty much every truck I have ever had with a temp gauge from the factory has used the L-H with at least a marker line in the middle indicating the proper tempyour truck is supposed to run at. The needle has pretty much always run just to the right of that line. Swapping JUST the oil and it drops back nearer the line or right onto it. Adding the Purple Ice and it has alwaysswung over just to the left side. Again however, factory gauges like that are not very accurate in what they represent so that big needle swing can be just 5-10 degrees. Because your truck will certainly run hotter than the t-stat tempyou CAN see a drop in temp with synthetic oil and other additives.
Old June 17th, 2007, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Actually, to save you the hassle of going to look it up here you go...

http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html

Data Source: Sport Truck magazine Article available June 1st
Description of Test: Replaced existing motor oil with Royal Purple 5W30 motor oil. Dyno pull performed on an all-aluminum 572ci powerplant built by DNE Motorsports Development owned by Dave Ebbert.

Engine Type

Performance Improvement

Gasoline

An increase of 13 HP

Data Source: GM High-Tech Performance Magazine Read the Article
Description of Test: Replaced existing motor oil and gear oil with Royal Purple 5W30 motor oil and Max-Gear 75W90 in a 1994 Formula Firebird with a LT1 engine*. Purple Ice super-coolant additive was added to the cooling system.

Engine Type

Performance Improvement

Gasoline

Horsepower
Increased 11 hp (4.7%)

Torque
Increased nearly 12 ft-lbs (4.2%)

Data Source: Sport Truck Magazine Read the Article
Description of Test: Replaced existing 10W30 engine oil, transmission fluid and gear oil with 10W30 Royal Purple Motor Oil, Max ATF transmission fluid and Max Gear gear oil in a 1996 Chevy C3500 truck.

Engine Type

Performance Improvement

Gasoline

Horsepower
Average + 10 hp, up to 5% increase in baseline hp

Torque
Average + 12 lb-ft

Data Source: Trucks! Watch the Video
Description of Test: Trucks! television program conducted a test to determine if changing from conventional oil to Royal Purple® lubricants would decrease drag and drive train heat. The test was conducted at Hypertec's dyno facility in Memphis, Tennessee on August 27, 2005. The 'Little Red Wagon', a 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 truck, was used for the test.
Testing Equipment: A two-in-floor, all-wheel-drive super flow chassis dynamometer and a Raytek MX4 infrared thermometer.
Procedures: The truck was strapped down for safety. The truck was then started, the four-wheel-drive engaged and the truck left running on the dyno for 30 minutes in order to allow temperatures to stabilize. Temperature readings were then taken on the front and rear differentials. The engine was then accelerated to capture the initial torque readings on the dyno. A second run on the dyno was conducted to assure consistency in results. Once consistency was documented, the truck was shut down and the motor oil, transmission fluid and differential fluids were drained and replaced with Royal Purple® lubricants.
After the fluids were swapped the truck was once again started and left running on the dyno for 30 minutes in order to allow temperatures to stabilize. Temperature readings were then taken on the front and rear differentials. The engine was then accelerated to capture the torque readings on the dyno. A second run on the dyno was conducted to assure consistency in results.

Engine Type

Performance Improvement

Gasoline
[align=center]Torque increases as much as 3.5%
throughout the power curve.[/align][align=center]The front differential temperatures
decreased 10 degrees F.[/align][align=center]The rear differential temperatures
decreased 8 degrees F.[/align]
__________________________________________________ __

Data Source: Top Dead Center TV Watch the Video
Description of Test: Replaced existing conventional motorcycle oil with Royal Purple's Max-Cycle® in a brand new Rev-Tech engine. Temperatures continuously monitored using a thermal imaging camera.

Engine Type

Performance Improvement

Gasoline

An average temperature Reduction at Idle of 11° F
Greater temperature reductions were expected at higher rpm's.

There are a lot more test results shown on the site using the link above documenting, through independant testers, that RP does increase power and reduce temp.
Old July 5th, 2007, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Probably a dumb question but will the Royal Purple work with an 83 Silverado c20. Like to know. thaks
Old July 5th, 2007, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: chevyforlife

Probably a dumb question but will the Royal Purple work with an 83 Silverado c20. Like to know. thaks
It is not a dumb question.

The technical answer is yes it would work in the truck in question. My actual answer however would be to not use it based on the year of the truck( ie; 1983 ). Chances are an 83 has a good 100-200K on it or more. That is just way too many miles to start using synthetic for the 1st time.

Can lead to all kinds of problems( ie; leaks and increased oil consumption and even some valve train noise). The detergents in synthetic oil are so goood they act like an engine flush on a high mileage engine. They break down and dissolve all the sludge and other build up in the engine. The sludge and build up usually are keeping the engine from leaking or using oil and once dissolved it starts or gets worse if either issue was preexisting. That crud can also mask worn valve train component noise and once it is gone you hear it.

So, on a high mileage engine if your engine leaked already or used oil( rule of thumb ismore than 1qt p/3000 miles don't swap over)it would worsen with the synthetic. If it didn't leak or use oil chances are good it could start after all the crud is dissolved. Many people have swapped over at 100K+ and not had problems but it is a big risk. Keep in mind the synthetic actually doesn't hurt anything in your engine. The oil is not causing harm it just exposes issues already present.

Unless the engine has been rebuilt or swapped in your 83 C20 and has 75K or less I would not swap to any synthetic. Instead I would run a premium High Mileage conventional oil that is designed for such use. All the mfg's offer them.
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:38 AM
CF Junior Member

I also have an 06 1500. I'm running religiously with Castrol Syntec & a shot of LUCAS. Since mine only has 14k miles, just a dab of LUCAS will do it.

For me, Castrol seems to be the best compromise between cost of quality. I pick it up at COSTCO for $35 cdn per 6 qt case. Don't know the price down south....but certainly cheaper. [8D]

I'd like to give RoyalP a try, but it's hard to find where I am, and I certainly don't plan to pay $10+ per qt..

Unless you're a extreme off-roader, or drag racer, any quality Synthetic will do. Anything is better than conventional garbage. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Now to save your engine from those occasional harsh days of driving, a little LUCAS or AMS OIL will help there.

Old July 6th, 2007, 6:44 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: chevyforlife

On an 83, like NHSilverado said, Synthetic might make it leak a bit more if it already leaks. I'm not being paid by LUCAS, but I find it's an awesome product. I have also a 78 K5 and use Lucas in it. Since it's a little more aged, I use the whole bottle, never had any problems. No leaks, no pings, no knocks, this stuff is sticks more than s*$t in dog hair.

My theory, go witha product that is extremely popular, without needing advertisment. Advertising means sales are going down..... No advertising means plenty of people buy it regardless. RP, Lucas, AMS oil, etc.
Old July 6th, 2007, 7:04 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: cheyenne06

I also have an 06 1500. I'm running religiously with Castrol Syntec & a shot of LUCAS. Since mine only has 14k miles, just a dab of LUCAS will do it.

For me, Castrol seems to be the best compromise between cost of quality. I pick it up at COSTCO for $35 cdn per 6 qt case. Don't know the price down south....but certainly cheaper. [8D]

I'd like to give RoyalP a try, but it's hard to find where I am, and I certainly don't plan to pay $10+ per qt..

Unless you're a extreme off-roader, or drag racer, any quality Synthetic will do. Anything is better than conventional garbage. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Now to save your engine from those occasional harsh days of driving, a little LUCAS or AMS OIL will help there.

$10+ p/qt??? I hope that is Canadian dollars and not US. That is a rip off. RP is sold in Canada at retail outlets. None listed for the Province of Quebec but there are many inthe Provinces of Ontario and New Brunswick, which if memory serves me, border Quebec. Here are links to the dealers for those 2 provinces for you to see if by any chance there is a store not too far away with it.You can also go right to the dealer locator and select the other Provinces too to see.

http://www.royalpurple.com/dealers/canada.html#Ontario
http://www.royalpurple.com/dealers/c...l#NewBrunswick
http://www.royalpurple.com/dealers/dealers.html

Looks like Lordco Auto Parts in British Columbiais a pretty big parts store chain that sells RP. Many many stores in the various cities of BCif one is close enough to travel to? Not sure how far away that Province is for you, or any of the cities with a store,but maybe you could buy it by the case and get 3-4 OC's at one time and make the trip worth it if it is too far to go get each time.

If you can find a dealer locally RP is well worth the money. Not $10 p/qt however( actually I just went and looked and $10 CAD = approx $9.50 USD right now so guess no real difference ). That is nuts. I pay $5.90 p/qt USDfrom a local speed shop and never pay more than $7 p/qt USD when I am caught needing it and the only place is the national auto part store chains open late like PepBoys and Advanced Auto Parts.
Old July 6th, 2007, 7:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the links. Ottawa, Ontario is the closest for me at about a 2 hr. drive. BC is the above Seattle, and I'm above Vermont, so it's a little ways away.

$5.90 per qt isn't bad, now that I would pay. For me, the $10 cdn per qt. included shipping fees. which is just insane!

I'll be down in VT today, so maybe I'll picksome up at Advance Auto when I get the E3 plugs.

Old July 6th, 2007, 2:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Try E-Bay as well. Just type in Royal Purple and the oil weight you want( ie; 5W-30 ). Lots of people sell it on there. Might be able to get it shipped free or cheap.

Quick Reply: WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU RUNNING WITH?