Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What should i believe about engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should i believe about engine noise?

I drive a 99 silverado 1500 z71, she has 197,000 and still running like a champ except for the head gasket that will be replaced soon as i get time. My thing is i bought this truck a year and a half ago with 179,000. I have only heard this knock noise during cooler weather and after a long highway drive(about a hour or longer). I run 10w-30 full synthetic in my truck and noticed that it helped a little but when starting my truck oil pressure jumps to 40 psi and a knocking or "slapping" noise happens for no more than 6 seconds. My biggest fear is that im getting the noises of a soon to be blown motor. I've seen some people say its normal and some people say your a dumb a** if you think it is normal. I would really appreciate to hear what yall have to say about it, whether i need to be pricing a new motor or enjoying my truck. Thanks
Old November 21st, 2011, 8:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoy the truck...I've got the same truck. 01 z71 with 198k on the dash and it gives a little piston slap during cold weather. Other than that it still runs just as strong as day one
Old November 21st, 2011, 2:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
I drive a 99 silverado 1500 z71, she has 197,000 and still running like a champ except for the head gasket that will be replaced soon as i get time. My thing is i bought this truck a year and a half ago with 179,000. I have only heard this knock noise during cooler weather and after a long highway drive(about a hour or longer). I run 10w-30 full synthetic in my truck and noticed that it helped a little but when starting my truck oil pressure jumps to 40 psi and a knocking or "slapping" noise happens for no more than 6 seconds. My biggest fear is that im getting the noises of a soon to be blown motor. I've seen some people say its normal and some people say your a dumb a** if you think it is normal. I would really appreciate to hear what yall have to say about it, whether i need to be pricing a new motor or enjoying my truck. Thanks
I've had a top end knock on my 2000 Suburban 5.3L since it had 50K on it (intermittent) Think it is lifters. Since you have to replace a head gasket, might be time to look at lifters. I run, and recommend the OEM recommendations on oil, however since I have 170K, I use Castrol GTX extended life at whatever the oil cap says to use, I think 10w-30. Because you are using a full synthetic only means longer oil life, nothing else.

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 21st, 2011 at 2:07 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 2:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Thansk for the replies, I think good idea to look at the lifters. The 5.3 calls for 5w-30 but with all the miles(some are ran hard miles) i run a thicker oil to keep everything lubricated well and not so much now but i live in louisiana and it gets hot as a some b**ch. But thanks again for the info
Old November 22nd, 2011, 3:00 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
Thansk for the replies, I think good idea to look at the lifters. The 5.3 calls for 5w-30 but with all the miles(some are ran hard miles) i run a thicker oil to keep everything lubricated well and not so much now but i live in louisiana and it gets hot as a some b**ch. But thanks again for the info
If your not burning oil Id still use what the cap says, I seem to burn a quart every 6 months with 5-30 @ 110,000 so I use a slightly thicker oil full syn to account for that, I change it every 8000 which is about 6 months for me.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; November 22nd, 2011 at 3:05 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always use the proper weight oil. If you use thicker oil yes the oil pressure goes up but the volume of moving oil goes down. At operating temp 5w-30 and 10w-30 is exactly the same. First # 5w or 10w is when oil is cool. The thicker oil takes longer to move through the engine which is worse. I actually put 0w-30 in my truck when I change the oil in the winter time so the engine gets lubrication quicker. If you wanted to run thicker oil you wold need to run ?w-40 or ?w-50, which is still not a good idea. BAck in the older days it was normal to use thicker oils. Now and days engine are built much more percise and oils have come a long way

Oil Additives | MotorWeek
Old November 24th, 2011, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

I have had my truck for about 7 years now and it has always had a knock even after I replaced the rods and lifters... at first it concerned the hell out of me so that's why I replaced everything but yeah truck has been running amazing even with this coolant issue I posted earlier