Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What Truck?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2009, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Truck?

Would you guys suggest for me? I am currently driving my dads bussiness truck (Chevy 2500) but I am looking to buy my own truck for messing around with. I am looking for a 4wd chevy or ford, but my family has had better experiences with chevy, so perferably chevy that is 4wd and will give me little to no problems. I am buying this so I can do a bunch of stuff to it such as put a lift on it and bigger tires, new exahust system, ect ect. So what trucks should I be looking at and how many miles should I be looking at on them? (This truck will be mainly for play and fun - I'm not worried about how many mpg it gets at all. I'm buying either a s10 or ranger for that) Oh, and what year should I look at? My price range at the moment is 3500. But I am getting a job soon and thinking about selling my yz125 so I will keep my options open of anything up too 7000, but preffer to look at something alot lower right now such as 4000 max. Thank you guys in advance!!!!
Old February 25th, 2009, 3:58 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Find a mid 90's 4x4 with a 454 and 4:10 gears. Should be right in your price range and the possibilities are endless
Old February 25th, 2009, 5:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ditto what 92 said. If you're going to lift 'er, you want a high gear ratio(@2000$ to add it later) and a large V8. I personally find myself going against the grain less with Chevy than I did with tur-er-ford, when it comes to making improvements and upgrades.

That said, IMO the 1500(1/2 ton) Silverado is the optimal size. You get the large interior in a lighter overall package, with a much higher aftermarket selection of parts.
Old February 25th, 2009, 6:34 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Go to Craigslist.yourtown.org

Click on Cars & Trucks

Type in "454" or "7.4" or "big truck"

Here's an example of pretty much exactly what you want to look for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old February 25th, 2009, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Okay thank you guys. Also my dad had actually suggested a toyota. Since I am 16 and do not currently have a job he said that I should keep in mind that having two vehicles ment paying insurance for two vehicles and upkeep ect ect. So what he suggested was getting a toyota (Mid size..Like a half ton) because he said you can do a pretty good amount of stuff to them and they are very light compared to like my 3/4 ton i'm driving now so they can go right through stuff alot better. (On the toyota a 4wd) And that would just be my full time truck. What do you guys think about that? Also how much do better pipes generally cost and how much performance wise/sound does it make? I researched and asked around and what I found was there about 600-800ish.
Old February 26th, 2009, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Toyota is arguably an excellent truck,(cost aside) and my two favorite cars EVER were my two Corollas I had shortly after I left the Navy. That said, the Toyota pickups just recently entered the market, and while they're well liked and well built, they aren't numerically popular. What I mean is right now the truck aftermarket caters mainly to 1/2 -ton domestics. If you really want to add performance and suspension parts from the aftermarket, Silverado is the way to go. If modifications are merely a pipe-dream, then the Toyotas are are really nice trucks.

As for pipes, sounds like you've got a good set priced right. My experience with intake and exhaust has been that you will get RPMs faster, and put more power to the ground. The ultimate price paid is MPG, so I'd take one upgrade at a time, till you figure you've gained the minimum extra HP you want, and lost all the MPG you can afford. Let us know what you decide. Best of luck.

Last edited by therewolf; February 26th, 2009 at 4:06 PM.