Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Why does the fuel gauge jump around?

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the recalls on the dash modules. My 03 , all the gages went wacky and good ol Chevy replaced the whole thing free.
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for everyone's input and suggestions. I will definately look into all possibilities starting with the easist first.

Another sympton that I saw yesterday... after starting the car with a full tank (even though the needle said empty), I watched it slowly move to the full mark. There was no jumping around this time. It just took about 3 minutes to move from the left (empty) to the right (full).

Aside from this little nuance, the truck has been wonderful for nine years!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 4:07 PM
CF Junior Member

My fuel pump assembly will soon need replacement, which I believe will come with a new fuel sending unit. When the fuel pump aseembly is replaced, I will report back and say if it appeared to the be the fuel sending unit or not.
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

My Silverado 2000, was doing the same at full or low fuel in tank, driving or sitting at light, just jumps around, and now it wont start, checked fuses, fuel pump relay, and listened for fuel pump no sound, figure I';m going to have to change, but tried spraying starting fluid in intake and start but won't start. Is it something else before i start droping the fuel tank?