Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Why is my truck faster?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my truck faster?

Ok, so I now that my truck actually runs right (fuel pump) I noticed something. My house sits right next to a 70mph two lane (one each way) highway. My girlfriend owns a 2000 Frontier 4-door 2wd. As we were leaving, she is in front of me and she floors it. This was as we were leaving the driveway entering the highway so we were going less than 5mph when she did that. Well I floored it also and the tires did spin a little but the traction control in my brain handled it. I immediately gained on her and pretty much passed her like it was nothing. I let off at about 75 when I knew she gave up.

Now this is what I was wondering. Why is my truck so much faster when I know I probably weigh an extra 1000lbs? I have a tool box in the back and a grille guard on the front, plus some bigger tires than stock and it's pretty much all stock. Her 3.3L v6 puts out 170hp and 200tq. My 5.0 puts out 230hp and 285tq. I did not think that would be enough to pull that easily away. She tried it one time before now but we were going about 50 and I passed and pulled away just as easy. And she did get the jump on me both times because I am not automatically expecting anything and then see her truck pull ahead a little then I step on it, so you can't say it's about who steps on it first.

One time before (prolly months ago) a friend was behind us while we were going fifty and he passed us. We were in her frontier and he got the jump while passing but it wasn't easy for him to pass. He had a '04 Altima 2.5.

So if it were my truck in that situation, I prolly could have slapped that Altima in the face. What is the deal? Is that torque that I have just so much better?
Old April 7th, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Active Member

lets see here... you have a 305 V8 that year its probly a vortec motor.. that frontier has a LITTLE V6 3.3 probly has single over head cams "sohc" " i had a nissan 300zx non-turbo and i was PUSHING 165hp and about the same in torqe, BUT the tranny i had i was walking on 85-92 corvettes stop light to stop light." your truck has low gears and alot of torqe so you have ALOT of accellartion.. my 300zx the gears i hadwear sick.... and that alima is probly a little 4 banger if you raced him in your truck you would have took him off the line... at about 115 he'll walk on you... IF he dont have a govner... it all comes done to GEARING and power and torqe... V8s are a lovely thing aint they?
Old April 7th, 2009, 2:37 PM
CF Active Member

Yea. It's vortec and hers is sohc but still, my truck weighs sooooo much. I was really surprised. And with the altima. Yea it is a I-4 but they got a little pep in them now. I still think it's funny that an old pickup can stomp two vehicles that look a lot sportier. I think these trucks have a lot more power than people expect them to have. Or maybe the transmission works perfectly in conjunction with the motor. They got something right. I'll never trade a V8 for anything. They are the best.

Anyone else have some stories?
Old April 7th, 2009, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the wild world of differential gearing. She probably has @308:1, at minimum you have 373:1 or 410:1 or better.

R-R-R!! BRAWNY TRUCKS!! BOO-YAH!

My favorite story is about the time I was going around the corner at a hospital with a Rendevous half-a-SUV coming the other way. The woman was driving with this smug "size is right of way" expression on her face. Well, her face fell when she saw my 22 foot,3/4 ton,
CCLB with the Cap-Then she had an expression on her face which was half"Oh,crap!" and half "WTF is THAT THING?"

yuk yuk
Old April 7th, 2009, 5:28 PM
CF Active Member

well my nissan was about 4500pounds i had her going 145 one day but she got to light on the front tires and i had to slow down... like i mean put it in N and cost tell i got to about 120 and i could slow down with the brake.. its gears... my buddy has a 96 galant with a 2.3L 4 banger. that thing would walk up and down my V6 3.0l.. it comes down to gears.... i have a lil aguement with my friends about this lol they think if they took say a chevelle and stuck a big block 454 in it yeah its gonna go dang nice... but lets say i have the same chevelle with a 383 stroker and a corvette 5 speed tranny out of a 96 ill walk on that big block all day.... its all about the gears and if you have the RIGHT engine SETUP you can do ANYTHING.... i love cars and trucks guy they are my life
Old April 7th, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

I was thinking I have 3.73 and also, my truck shifts with authority. Her truck does more of a slip-shift thing. It's smoother when you're flooring it but I think it has to affect the performance. I know what you're talkin about with the engine to gear setup. I own a 82 280zx turbo that has a three speed automatic. My friend had a 1979 camaro with a built 350, which he built himself. I was able to stay in front of him all the way to 135 one day. I was at about 6300 rpm so I was pretty much topped out by revs and he had 2.73 rear end but was topped out by drag. Made it even.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
CF Active Member

Do you mean to say no one is brave enough to share their stories? Everyone has one. Come on, I won't tell on you. I pretty much have two people who will at least fess up. That's out of how many members? Scaredy Cats!!
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chevy power baby!!!
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
CF Active Member

OK you're gettin there. Now......continue.
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:26 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Ok on truckforums you jump on me for sharing my story, then over here you are practically begging them to share... WTH!

Obviously Suzuki guy has never raced before, therefore has no stories

Quick Reply: Why is my truck faster?