Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Wiring Confusion

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2008, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Confusion

Hello all - newb here.

I have a 1997 Silverado 1500. The Power door locks aren't working. I went to check the fuse and I can't seem to find it. The fuse box door indicates that they are in slot A and B, not in one of the 1-20 slots. However, there's no A or B in the there. Checked under the hood, it's not in that fuse box either. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old November 18th, 2008, 6:51 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Wiring Confusion

Slot A and B are not fuses. They are circuit breakers. Slot A is for locks and B is for the power windows. They are in the fuse panel inside the truck, and they should be silver in color. Pull out A and check for power at the terminal in the fuse box.
The problem could also be in either door lock switch. The power for the door locks runs through both switches to operate the door locks.

If you have power at the circuit breaker, check for broken wires in both door boots and report back
Old November 19th, 2008, 1:34 PM
CF Active Member

just a thought but did the truck also have factory keyless if so it could also be the relays
Old November 20th, 2008, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

OK so I'm not completely nuts. I did see those two silver fuses... er... circuit breakers. As a result of my curiosity I pulled them both out thinking "WTF are these things?". They didn't look burned or popped in any way, so I put them back. So this opens up a few more (dumb) questions...

1) How do I check those circuit breakers to see if they are still any good?
2) Are the circuit breakers something I can replace by running down to the autoparts store or will it be dealer only?
3) How can I check the power coming into the fuse box where the circuit breakers sit?

I tried to pull the door panels off to check for loose and/or disconnected wires, but there must be an easier way. I was pulling from the bottom and it just seemed like I was gonna snap some tabs and break the panel, so I stopped. Is there a photo how-to for removing these door panels?

So the truck is at the mechanic today. While on 6-month deployment to Qatar, meth-heads hijacked it and beat the **** out of it. It's getting new leaf springs, a new suspension hanger, new rear shocks, rebuilding the differential, tightening up the oil pan which had been knocked loose and fastening the bed to the frame which also came loose. Oh yeah, and they are removing the POS bolt in roll bar that's fastened to the bed with only four bolts and removing the brush guard they put on. Bye bye paycheck.
Old November 20th, 2008, 9:04 AM
CF Active Member

poor truck you need a volt meter to check the circuit breakers you should be able to buy them at a parts store and they can probably check the old ones as far as your power coming in to the breaker you can use a test light just clip it to a good metal surface for ground then check the location where the breakers go for power if its there it should light up if im not mistaken the one for the windows only gets power when the key is on the locks should have it all the time pulling the doorpanel offits not too hard but if you need to check the locks all you need to do is pull up on the back edge of the switch panel ant it will pop out on its own
Old November 21st, 2008, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

OK so we got it back from the mechanic yesterday. $900 later, new leaf springs and left side hanger. Both the rear dif and somewhere under the front still leak. They did remove the crap roll bar and brush guard. However, now the rear parking lights don't work at all and the left brake light doesn't work.

I checked the circuit breakers by switching the windows and locks (both 20A). Windows still work, so it's not that. Power to the box is there. Gonna check the switches tonight for loose wires. If it's something beyond that who knows?! Are they linked? That is, would one bad one cause them both to not work? Or one snapped wire?

I'm feeling like it's gonna be a trip to an auto electrical guy to make this truck work right. Sheesh!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 8:19 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would take it back to the guy who did the work on the rear of the truck. Sounds like they forgot a connector or melted a wire witha torch
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

The mechanic that did the recent work only worked on the suspension, did not touch wires. I checked out what I could and all the wires are there... nothing is melted or cut. So... who knows a good auto-electrical person in the San Fernando Valley area that will not charge me an arm and a leg to fix this mess?
Old December 11th, 2008, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

I finally had a chance to crawl under the truck and look what I found!!

First, I saw this cut ground wire (1A). I reconnected that and it didn‘t do anything. So I figured I‘d disconnect the whole trailer light kit (1B), since I never tow anything anyway.

I found that there is a wire that is completely disconnected from the plug (2A) and a few wires where the insulation has been cut (2B) or rubbed off (2C).

QUESTION: Where do I get a new plug like that so that I can reconnect 2A? Auto part store? What‘s it called?

THANKS!!! I‘m so close to getting this fixed I can taste it! Then I‘ll be able to drive at night again and will get back to trying to fix the power locks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21243/3693F02B54534B5691EB31B62E001E3A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21243/0E6DA39CCDBE4AE6B9350266BBB9686A.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 11th, 2008, 4:26 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, what your looking at is the connector to one of your taillight. The trailer wiring adapter goes between the connectors of your left and right taillights, which means that if you don't reconnect the connectors after removing the adapter one side of your taillights won't work. Also with that disconnected wire, is one one of your taillights not working properly?

Quick Reply: Wiring Confusion