Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

XM Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2012, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Satellite Radio

I bought my 2008 Silverado last year, noticed that I have the xm magnet antenna on the roof. Traced lead to behind passenger glove box.

My radio will not select XM at all, pressing "BAND" button only toggles between FM/AM.

OnStar said vehicle was not equipped, so I guess what I am asking is the magnet antenna above driver door part of the stock equipment and radio it self is messing up? or that an aftermarket antenna to be used with a separate xm reciever?

I called dealership and they dont know what I am talking about.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 3:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by teecrisp
I bought my 2008 Silverado last year, noticed that I have the xm magnet antenna on the roof. Traced lead to behind passenger glove box.

My radio will not select XM at all, pressing "BAND" button only toggles between FM/AM.

OnStar said vehicle was not equipped, so I guess what I am asking is the magnet antenna above driver door part of the stock equipment and radio it self is messing up? or that an aftermarket antenna to be used with a separate xm reciever?

I called dealership and they dont know what I am talking about.
Means someone had an external reciever if it isn't a permenant antenna, in other words factory. I don't think you r factory radio will support xm, the later models, even an 2010 silverado I had did support it, but you had to subscribe. Either contact xm with a request for purchase an external receiver with subscription, or take it to a truck specialty shop.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks kevin, i have an external sirius unit, i guess ill hook that up for now...

i guess this is a totally different topic, but maybe youd know off hand... i know there is an adaptor to go from xm antenna to match sirius recievers, but cant i just splice the two together? i mean they are just wires right?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 5:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by teecrisp
thanks kevin, i have an external sirius unit, i guess ill hook that up for now...

i guess this is a totally different topic, but maybe youd know off hand... i know there is an adaptor to go from xm antenna to match sirius recievers, but cant i just splice the two together? i mean they are just wires right?
I don't. You might contact sirrus/xm for what you need.