Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

YAY!.....blower motor (maybe) problems...

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2014, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAY!.....blower motor (maybe) problems...

Going down the highway the other day in my 03 Silverado which has the small 6 and about 160,000 miles on it when I suddenly realized the A/C is hardly blowing even though the fan motor is set at 4. I turned down the stereo and I could hear the fan blowing but very little air was coming out the vents. Not knowing what to do and being miles from home I continued on when I suddenly noticed the air bag light came on. It stayed on for a few seconds then went back off. I looked at the voltmeter and noticed the needle was fluccuating. The needle would go as far as 11v then back up to approx. 14v. That strange I though as I had installed a new battery not more than 8 months ago. Then without rhyme or reason, the air started coming through the vents again. I should say the fan motor has never worked at the highest setting of 5, though once I did switch it there and it WAS WORKING! But that was just one time. The truck itself has never had a problem starting and it starts nice and strong. This maybe a case of 2 different things going on as I've heard the instrument clusters on these are very squirrely and, yes, my tachometer is rarely correct. Any thoughs before I take it in and have some one try and sell me a catylitic converter?
Old August 25th, 2014, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea there's usually a "blower motor resistor" (has cooling fins) often if you hear it in radio you need one, i hear also don't forget if you can to drop the blower out and air filter and clean (or at least inspect to make sure they are not dragging) last thing to do is replace blower motor in your case i can't imagine you end up needing it
Old August 25th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh oops didn't read it fully you have air, well sometimes? I now gues you mean you always hear blower and sometimes have air? so might have the "blending door" not opening quickly (bent plast gears, guh, cheap, fix the little mess if you can before it totally breaks the little plastic from the pressure, if you can) there's many articles on blend doors to read ABS light? i'll pretend that wasn't part of the blower motor (it isn't) are you sure that hopping on and off seats doesnt' make that blink (seat sensors)?
Old August 29th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It back!...

Yep. Got air back! Problem turned out to be a clogged dryer. $75.00 later and I'm back in business....kinda....it can be blowing nice and strong like it should for 20-30 minutes when once again, the airflow from the vents is barely there. The fan sounds as if its still running but there is hardly and air. After awhile full airflow may come back. Any ideas?