Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Yes guys another ticking noise!

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2009, 5:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Yes guys another ticking noise!

I have a ticking noise coming from somewhere under the steering noise that is consistent with engine speed. I can only hear it at idle and the more throttle I give it the faster it gets. What the heck could this be?
Old July 24th, 2009, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How are the fan belts? A piece of road tar or a stuck pebble on the belt, or a loose or worn piece of a worn belt could be slapping, making a "ticking" noise.

A piece of your rotor could be contacting the inside your distributor cap.

It could be just a loose piece of plastic or something coming in contact with your fan.

Three things you can try:

1)The old screwdriver trick. With the engine running(and being VERY careful not to come into contact with any moving parts...) take your longest, thinnest screwdriver, and place it around the engine compartment, cautiously going from component to component,put your ear up to the end of the handle, and use the tip to touch the surface of whatever you're listening to.(sort of like a stethescope) You may localize the sound, with any luck.

2)After dark,gaze into your engine compartment with a flashlight or a strong focused light, going over each area a little at a time. Try it with the engine off, then with the engine on.

3)Also in the dark, take a timing light, and try looking at the engine with it. Pay particular attention to the fan, belts, pulleys,and fan clutch. Take your time, you never know what your going to find. A regular strobe-light works almost as well, try it at different speeds.
Old July 24th, 2009, 6:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah but the noise is inside the cab I can not hear it in the engine compartment..
Old July 24th, 2009, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't say for certain, but could it be possible the noise is traveling up the steering column from the PS box? You might not be able to hear it over the engine compartment noise.

Won't cost ya nuthin' to try the screwdriver thing at the PS box...

Could this possibly be the speedometer cable? Usually if you're having speedo problems, the speedometer needle jumps around a bit. Once again, you may be able to localize the noise with a screwdriver.

Also, see if you can eliminate the transmission as the culprit. Listen at the shifter linkage inside the truck.

Last edited by therewolf; July 24th, 2009 at 6:11 PM.
Old July 24th, 2009, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah Ill try it thanks' Rivereye!
Old July 25th, 2009, 6:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tachometer that made a ticking sound it was an afttermarket AutoZone special in a 92 Dakota.
Old July 25th, 2009, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

After further inspection the noise is in the cab. Sounds like it's coming from the gauge cluster. At one time at idle I could turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and it would go away. But now it does not matter. Could it be my Tach? It is consistent with engine speed.
Old July 25th, 2009, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats my guess, your tachometer.
Old July 25th, 2009, 8:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Or any number of the stepper motors inside the gauge assembly. At least I think the 95s had stepper motors...
My granny's Venture did the same thing except it was the fuel gauge stepper motor.
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find a way to isolate it somehow, if thats not it isolate something else, ah process of elimination is fun, eventually you will find it even if you have to tear your whole dash apart

Quick Reply: Yes guys another ticking noise!