Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Z71 Silverado 2005 5.3>Speedometer is sticking

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z71 Silverado 2005 5.3>Speedometer is sticking

Z71 / 2005 Silverado 5.3>Speedometer is sticking

2005 SILVERADO 5.3L / Z71

Hello,

As I was driving, I noticed my Speedometer cable was sticking. I know I was going at least 45 MPH, but the speedometer read 10 MPH on the dial!
Could this be a matter of replacing the Sending Unit? The two wires between the Transfer case and Transmission?

I'm under the assumption that this speedometer is electronic. A friend of mine told me I'd better hope this is the minor problem, and not getting into the replacement of the dash, which could be a $700.00 or $800.00 repair cost. Yeowwie!

I certainly would appreciate any help. Thank you!

The 140 K miles, is way out of warranty.

The dial speedo doesn't read proper and sticks, but the digital mileage numbers seem to work good.

So it looks like its something just with the dial hanging up. Thank you!

Last edited by HeavyChevyTom; November 13th, 2011 at 4:50 PM.
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to replace the whole cluster or have it rebuilt. Its a very common issue on these trucks, if your under 85k miles I believe GM will do it for free. Otherwise its around 5-600. Call your local dealership. I just had mine done at zero cost
Old November 13th, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

The 140 K miles, is way out of warranty.

The dial speedo doesn't read proper and sticks, but the digital mileage numbers seem to work good.

So it looks like its something just with the dial hanging up. Thank you!
Old November 13th, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Junior Member

All your other gauges could go bonkers as well. The cluster needs rebuilt the gear reduction stepper motors are not good in these years and will fail.
Old November 13th, 2011, 8:31 PM
CF Senior Member

heavy, for what it is, it is worth your effort to take cluster out, pop cover off its face, and see if handle does really catch on something. also, clean and lubricate all contact points in the back same time. those clusters are known to have notorious issues. but they are not that hard to get out either.
sometimes it can simply go loose on the shaft. been there.
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM

theres a company out there that does repair them. and the cost was pretty fair.
Old November 16th, 2011, 1:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sorry to hear about your speedometer issue. I would strongly suggest you visit your local dealer and have them take a look at it. I would hate for you to get a ticket for not knowing how fast you are going. Keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old November 16th, 2011, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Sorry to hear about your speedometer issue. I would strongly suggest you visit your local dealer and have them take a look at it. I would hate for you to get a ticket for not knowing how fast you are going. Keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
You do not always have to go to the dealer. Not all but more than half of the dealership guys are idiots and have no idea how a car works. What they do know is go back to the parts room and try a part if it does not fix it try another.If you see the same problem more then 2 times they put that part on everyone that goes in. If your vin # does not fall in with the sequence GM provides that can not be the problem etc.... They are over priced compared to many independent shops with far better Technician.

With that being said sounds like you cluster is failing, very common problem. At work we pull them out (takes less than 5 minutes) and send them to a company called module master. They rebuild them and give a 5 year warranty for $125.00
Old November 16th, 2011, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can pull it yourself with hand tools in under 30min.You need a 1/4 ratchet, extension and 7mm socket. Ship it to them using the post office (if it fits it ships for one low price boxes) like $17. The heck with the Dealership (Aka STEALERSHIP) and nowhere near $500
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
You can pull it yourself with hand tools in under 30min.You need a 1/4 ratchet, extension and 7mm socket. Ship it to them using the post office (if it fits it ships for one low price boxes) like $17. The heck with the Dealership (Aka STEALERSHIP) and nowhere near $500

GM customer service helped me get mine replaced for free...and I had a great experience at the dealership when they replaced it. and it gave me time to drive my camaro for a change

Quick Reply: Z71 Silverado 2005 5.3>Speedometer is sticking