Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Blew my Timing Belt at 33K!

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew my Timing Belt at 33K!

The bad news - last week my '05 Aveo with 33K miles blew the timing belt at highway speed and trashed the engine. (Service interval on the timing belt is 60K.)

The good news - in '06 I bought the GM Extended Warranty, which added 5 yrs onto the original warranty. Chevy dealer took apart the engine, called GM and got approval to replace the engine!!!

So my 7 1/2 yr old Aveo gets a new engine.

I'm posting this for all you folks that think extended warranties are a rip - well, they're not if you plan to keep the car a long time. I agree they make no sense if you plan to keep a car for 3 or 4 yrs, but if you keep it 7 or 8 like I do, then they pay off big time. (Hey, in the last two yrs I got a new radio, new control arms, new catalytic converter, new alarm switches and now a new engine - including roadside service on this most recent incident.)
Old June 17th, 2013, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

I always liked GM products and in particular, Chevrolet. But now, I don't ever want to buy another American car. They are pieces of crap.
Old July 9th, 2013, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

I have two Aveo's and one of them has 200,000 miles on it and if I blew my timing belt I would probably just junk the car since I only paid $8K for it brand new, but I did buy the extended warranty and my throttle broke at 60K miles which was covered and I my had transmission issues at 40K miles which was covered also, so yes the extended warranty as well worth it! My extended warranty ran out at 100K miles, but I had not had any issues. I am amazed this car has lasted this long since it is not a real american car since it is made in Korea with Daweoo motor.
No more Korean cars for me though, I am eyeing up my next new car and looking at a Dodge Dart since that gets the same mileage as the Aveo.
Old October 19th, 2013, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayman1967
No more Korean cars for me though, I am eyeing up my next new car and looking at a Dodge Dart since that gets the same mileage as the Aveo.
Don't knock Korean cars as the Hyundai lineup has done very well for themselves and is no longer a joke in the automotive industry. Dare I say....they are reliable!
Old October 19th, 2013, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy
Don't knock Korean cars as the Hyundai lineup has done very well for themselves and is no longer a joke in the automotive industry. Dare I say....they are reliable!
I agree! In 2010 we bought a 3.8 Genesis Coupe for my wife. Quality car, no complaints.
Old October 21st, 2013, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

I hardly see any Aveo's on the road anymore, probably because of the timing belt issue. I am about to change out my 5th timing belt. Can I possibly get 400,000 miles out of my Aveo? I recently bought a lawn chair cushion and added that to my front seat which makes it way more comfortable.

You have to agree the Aveo's are a cheaper made car, but the price was a lot lower. When I buy a car, I pay cash and drive it till it drops dead, because I hate debt and car payments. So the question is can these cheaper made cars really last?
Old December 21st, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayman1967
I hardly see any Aveo's on the road anymore, probably because of the timing belt issue. I am about to change out my 5th timing belt. Can I possibly get 400,000 miles out of my Aveo? I recently bought a lawn chair cushion and added that to my front seat which makes it way more comfortable.

You have to agree the Aveo's are a cheaper made car, but the price was a lot lower. When I buy a car, I pay cash and drive it till it drops dead, because I hate debt and car payments. So the question is can these cheaper made cars really last?
5 timing belt replacements should bring you to around 300,000 miles/500,000 km's which is pretty damn good for cheap throw away car as many claim.