Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Creeking Noise in Front End

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2007, 6:07 PM
Moe
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Creeking Noise in Front End

I have the same trouble...05 SVM...to think i traded my Geo Metro for this headache. Now im thinking of a Toyota.
Old August 11th, 2007, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

Go to this web site:

http://alldata.com/TSB/041056_en.html
Old August 11th, 2007, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Go to this web site. There is a technical service bulletin for this problem.

http://alldata.com/TSB/041056_en.html
Old November 4th, 2009, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

The Aveo front end creaking noise isn't a Sway bar bushing noise or a Strut mount or Strut noise, the problem with the Aveo's is the Lower Control Arm Bushings, the bushings on these cars are 1 cheap and 2 if you look under your car the bushings on the control arms are completly exposed to all road debrise such as rain water, road dirt and in the north you have your road salt in the winters, over time the bushings wear out or become so dirty that when you go over bumps and make turns, the control arm moves in an up and down motion and when you factor the dirt build up between the bushing and the control arm it will make such an annoying noise when the control arm moves, the fix for this at least for me is I replaced my 2 lower control arms with new ones, its not a hard job it basically is 3 Bolts, your lower ball joint bolt, and the 2 bolts that fasten the control arm to the sub frame, after replacing the control arms I took it for a ride and the front end was completly silent, however how long it will last before it will start to make noise again, I have no idea, mine has 53,000 miles on it so if i get at least 30,000 miles with it being quiet ill be happy.
Old January 29th, 2010, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

bobpattikramer@yahoo.com
Originally Posted by Brandon86
The Aveo front end creaking noise isn't a Sway bar bushing noise or a Strut mount or Strut noise, the problem with the Aveo's is the Lower Control Arm Bushings, the bushings on these cars are 1 cheap and 2 if you look under your car the bushings on the control arms are completly exposed to all road debrise such as rain water, road dirt and in the north you have your road salt in the winters, over time the bushings wear out or become so dirty that when you go over bumps and make turns, the control arm moves in an up and down motion and when you factor the dirt build up between the bushing and the control arm it will make such an annoying noise when the control arm moves, the fix for this at least for me is I replaced my 2 lower control arms with new ones, its not a hard job it basically is 3 Bolts, your lower ball joint bolt, and the 2 bolts that fasten the control arm to the sub frame, after replacing the control arms I took it for a ride and the front end was completly silent, however how long it will last before it will start to make noise again, I have no idea, mine has 53,000 miles on it so if i get at least 30,000 miles with it being quiet ill be happy.
Old September 16th, 2011, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue on my 2009 Aveo5. I have had it into the dealer four time for repair. First they did the lube, next they did some adjustments, then they finally replaced the struts and springs. The noise went away for about a month and now it is back as loud as ever.
Old November 12th, 2012, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

I've encountered the same problem. A brand new 2012 equinox with it off the lot for 3 weeks. Been to the dealer 5 times. 25k miles later same thing. Lubed up bushings , replaced strut mount bearings, more lube, today the shop foreman tells me the lower control arm bushings dry out with dry or dusty conditions. Always had an import and bought them used (VW, Subaru, & Toyota). Bought a brand new 2012 equinox w/120 miles and EmBarrasing creaking front end noise. After all the above mentioned items the sales staff want me to trade up to a.2013. In my opinion I think GM is garbage and needs to fix.this ongoing issue. The wife is all for GM. She is convinced to go to a.new VW Jetta or.passat get rid of the.equinox headaches... funny how GM lost potential customers from the wife's work when the creaking. Noise started and been ongoing.. they went to Hyundai and Toyota. Maybe we should have too. One question.... since this has been ongoing since new will GM extend the warranty or will they say well its done at 36k??????
Old November 14th, 2012, 3:38 AM
CF Beginner

Your lower ball joint could be the culprit.
Old November 15th, 2012, 8:52 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by handelands
I've encountered the same problem. A brand new 2012 equinox with it off the lot for 3 weeks. Been to the dealer 5 times. 25k miles later same thing. Lubed up bushings , replaced strut mount bearings, more lube, today the shop foreman tells me the lower control arm bushings dry out with dry or dusty conditions. Always had an import and bought them used (VW, Subaru, & Toyota). Bought a brand new 2012 equinox w/120 miles and EmBarrasing creaking front end noise. After all the above mentioned items the sales staff want me to trade up to a.2013. In my opinion I think GM is garbage and needs to fix.this ongoing issue. The wife is all for GM. She is convinced to go to a.new VW Jetta or.passat get rid of the.equinox headaches... funny how GM lost potential customers from the wife's work when the creaking. Noise started and been ongoing.. they went to Hyundai and Toyota. Maybe we should have too. One question.... since this has been ongoing since new will GM extend the warranty or will they say well its done at 36k??????
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> handelands,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. This may be caused by contact between the body and front cradle mounts forward bolts, they may need to be replaced. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 20th, 2012, 4:25 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

its sets are very comfortable.....
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="111"><colgroup><col width="111"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height:15.0pt;width:83pt" height="20" width="111">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="64"><colgroup><col width="64"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:48pt" height="20" width="64">

________________________</td> </tr></tbody></table>Cheap RV Camping | All About Cheap RV Camping</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Last edited by zeeshan; February 1st, 2013 at 1:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Creeking Noise in Front End