Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Intro and question about installing an amp

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2012, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and question about installing an amp

first off hello... new to the forum, having troubles navigating it. Owner of a Chevy HHR 2007, and a 19 year old daughter with a 2010ish chevy aveo. I am used to working on older stuff..... where if its not perfect, it doesnt matter as long as it works my daughters car..... another story being the dramatic teen that she is....... and here inlies my problem and question.

her B day is soon, and i purchased her a set of sub woofers, enclosure and amp. speaker hookup isnt the issue, as its the four door model with the speaker wires in the rear interior deck........... the problem is running power to the amp. i cant find a clean connection to 12V power to run to the trunk off the fuse box......... in the olden days i would pull the fuse, tuck the wire around the spade of the fuse and plug it back in....... doesnt seem possible with the micro fuses they are using with a 10ga wire, havent searched for a ground spot yet, so tips would be appreciated.....

HELP this "old man" get the power to the trunk please. With her drama, i have to say i feel like crap having attempted doing something good for her...... seems teen daughters are good at this, and to be honest, the reason i dont usually go out of my way to do "special" stuff that involves more than purchasing, or giving her my time. even called a buddy that does install, hes 30 miles away, 20$ an hour...... told her about it since she said she would pay for install if needed....... bad idea apparently on my part, as to her "its to far to drive, and 20$ an hour is WAY to much"

never been her hero, never will be, but i would like this "moment" atleast as simple as it may sound.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Matt L
Old September 22nd, 2012, 8:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

run it directly from the battery with an inline fuse very close to the battery connection. use wire loom and grommets to protect the wire when needed as it routed through the car. Amp install kits are available from major retailers.

If your not sure how to do this; pay the $100 and get it done by a professional.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Tech2 I went to a local shop and they guided me pretty much exactly how you just stated, happy with the sale of the install kit which they cut the price down by 20% for me......... yeah, i will return there ! As an added bonus, i got to learn how to install an amp now, so got to test one i purchased at a local auction...... and found that it works ! WIN WIN...... not often that happens !
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

http://www.surgingmediagroup.com/: In a world much more aware of financial restrictions, but still wanting beautiful DRTV campaigns they could be proud of, Myers and Davis set up Surging Media Group with the simple concept of delivering award winning high-end productions with practical budgets. Being a boutique agency has also given SMG the freedom to work one-on-one which each client giving total dedication to each project from start to finish. With this approach, SMG has managed to create some wonderful award winning DRTV campaigns. Check out: Surging Media Group - Home