Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Right RearEnd Makes "Pop" Noise-Left Turn & Over Bumps. HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2016, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right RearEnd Makes "Pop" Noise-Left Turn & Over Bumps. HELP PLEASE!

Hi Everyone! I could really use some advice / opinions on a problem I'm having with my car.
I have a 2008 Chevy Aveo LS. 103K Miles. 4Doors. Automatic.
While driving.....When I turn left, If the turn is sharp & slow there's an awful "Pop" noise on right rear end. If I go over bumps it "Pops". But If I turn left & the turn is wider & faster it very rarely "Pops". If I am driving on the highway/E-way, I've noticed that if I'm going 40mph or over & hit a bump it doesn't "Pop".
Does anyone know what this could be? Is it serious? Is it going to be expensive to fix?
I don't know alot about cars. But the noise is awful & everytime it "Pops" I think something is breaking.
So being as I don't have alot of money to shell out on fixing it, I don't want to cause more damage by continuing to drive it when I shouldn't. But I also don't know what to do either.
Any help that anyone might be able to give me at all would be great.
Thank You!

Last edited by Courtney Willett; January 9th, 2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old January 9th, 2016, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the car has a solid twist beam axle so the only thing I can think of that moves in the right rear wheel area is the shock absorber and spring. Sway bar links are common but I do not think a twist axle design for your car uses them.

have someone rock the r/r side and see if you can isolate the noise.
Old April 17th, 2016, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me , I would jack up that corner of the car , put it on a jack stand ans then grab the tire / wheel and try moving it up ans down and side to side . Listen for noises & feel for " looseness " . Try to duplicate the noises you hear while driving .

You may have to take the wheel off to see what is moving and where noises are coming from .

Rubber bushings wear out , And as has been said , shocks / struts also wear out .

God bless
Wyr