Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

You're kidding

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2014, 4:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're kidding

So, yesterday the E brakes stuck on on my wife's 2010 Aveo. My daughter had the car and I was 65 miles away. Those things happen, especially up here in Northern Maine where copious amounts of calcium is used on the roads. We had it towed to a local shop where the mechanic was able to get the drums off but ended up wrecking the brake shoes in the process. The local parts store had the brake shoes on stock but do you think that they had park brake cables? Noooooo, a dealer item we were told. Then the dealer had to order them. They will be here sometime next week. I am getting very tired of this. Common items, like transmission filters and spark plugs and now park brake cables are only available through the dealer, where we have to pay about three times what they are worth and on top of that, they don't even have them on their shelf. No park brake cables on stock at a Northern Maine Dealer. That is just wrong. This is the last General Motors Car that I will ever buy. The only thing economical about Chevrolet's economy car is putting gas in it. I am a Ford man (still own two of them) and I will be going back to Ford just as soon as that little piece of crap is paid for.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

You do not have to go to the dealer. Check out the internet and you can get the parts at reasonable prices. Rockauto has your parking brake cable from different manufacturers for as low as $13.48. You will find that some Ford parts are also not always available.
Old July 17th, 2014, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit that it does happen from time to time with my Fords. I had to go to the dealer for a rear axle seal for my Escape once but I didn't have to order it, they had it on stock. I also refused to pay for a new heater plenum for my Ford Ranger just because the blend door was broken. I fixed it with a finish nail. That was 9 years ago and the little truck has 253,500 miles on it now and still runs as good as the day I got it. This has happened five times (so far) with this little car. I should be able to get spark plugs, transmission fluid or a transmission filter over the counter without going to a GM Dealer. I did find the spark plugs on the Internet but I still had to wait a week for the delivery. I had to get an intake snorkel tube which I fully expected to be a dealer item but I didn't expect to have to pay $213.00 for it. I was in a bind on that one because we needed the car and it wouldn't run without it and I couldn't wait to shop around. If I would have just taken the time to do some research first, like coming to this site and reading about some of the horrors that some of the other members have had with theirs I would have never bought the car in the first place. I have no one to blame but myself.