Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'00 Suburban - Hard to turn key

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '00 Suburban - Hard to turn key

Picked up a Suburban today (2000, with 200k on the body)

Couple little kinks to work out. When I went to start it, the steering wheel was locked, and I could not turn the key. (In my Fords, usually a simple wiggle, or slight turn of the wheel will allow the key to turn) but I had to yank the wheel left as hard as I could to get the key to turn. Did this even when the wheel wasn't locked, I had to wiggle it until it locked, and then yank left.

This can't be "normal" to yank like that, no female without some strong arms would ever be able to start one of these if that was the case, lol.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old November 9th, 2016, 6:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

worn out keys will do this. if the silver is worn off the key and brass colour is present try cutting a new key. passkey II keys are cheap. do not trace the old key as it is worn out. go to a dealer or locksmith and have the new key cut from a key code.
Old November 11th, 2016, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, the brass is showing on this key. I am not sure if its original though, it says ILCO, theres no black plastic on it, and it has two different sets of numbers on one side above ILCO. Would those be the key code? One is 5 digits, starting with a letter, the other is 4 digits, also starting with a letter.
Old November 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

I should also mention that I have two brand new uncut keys, I scored a pretty good deal on Amazon, two new keys, and two new remote fobs for around $28. I only have one key, and had no fobs.
Old November 11th, 2016, 7:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the key code is other available from the dealer or locksmith. you will need the vin and ownership.