Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'01 Suburban Issues

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2014, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Suburban Issues

Have an '01 Suburban with 190K.

Overall solid truck, but have had my share of issues. I feel I have a good mechanic (AAA Service, but have a "factory" tech who used to work for a dealership).

Couple questions:

1) Potential Sagging Barn Door. Left door needs a bit of TLC to close solidly. If it doesn't close correctly then the right door won't shut securely. Don't know if this is a big deal to fix or even where to start. Don't see an obvious fix.

2) Right Barn door handle "return spring" broken long ago. Have to push handle back into return position. Looking to a body shop for a fix.

3) Nagging electrical type of issue: When braking and stopping, the Amp meter drops for a period and then comes back. In the winter I can see the headlights dim. Worse after highway driving, like at the end of an exit ramp. Once or twice has actually stalled. Suggestions? Can't get this one figured out. New battery. No Problem with alternator.
Old June 18th, 2014, 6:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't have barn doors, so I can't help with 1 or 2. However, #3 could be ABS activation. Did you have the recall done for corroded wheel speed sensors? The ABS pulls a ton of current, so that could be the culprit if a bad wheel speed sensor is triggering the ABS.

If that's not the issue, start pulling fuses or bulbs and see if the problem goes away.
Old June 19th, 2014, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had the recall done. I do have an intermittent issue with the ABS sensor. It will come on in a variety of conditions (just driving not braking), but upon restart will go back out. I think the sensor is shot, but my understanding is the sensor was very expensive and on back order.

Where can I find good information on the recall and is it possible to have the repair covered?

I'll have to do a bit more investigation on the drop in amperage.
Old June 19th, 2014, 9:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't seem to find it on NHTSA's website. Here's the text from another site...

Item Affected: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Date Announced: 8/29/2005

Description of Recall:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY.

Action Needed To Fix It:
DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 22, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.