Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 SUV random freon blowout after refilling system

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2022, 6:49 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 SUV random freon blowout after refilling system

Hey guys first post so i'm sorry if i'm doing this wrong I haven't been able to find anything on the problem i'm having
To start I own a 2002 Suburban LT, it has 360,000 miles plus, after noticing my AC wasn't cooling like normal I decided to do a refill, I added 2 cans of 12 oz each, I let it run for awhile everything worked fine, AC blew colder.
about an hour I started my car to leave, and when I turn on the AC I heard a loud pop followed by a large cloud of white smoke, obviously Freon. Immediately shut off the AC and it stopped leaking. I checked under the car and I could see green AC compressor oil leaking. After shutting everything off and checking for leaks I couldn't find any, and if I try to turn on the AC to check for leak same thing happens again.

My question, did I blow out my compressor by overfilling it? or this some sort of pressure relief valve trying to stabilize the system from me overfilling it? Is there a way to check the system without blowing everything out?
Add ons: This AC compressor is making 3/4 years old, same with the AC condenser. All the hoses and fitting are stock.