Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Tahoe Z71 No electrical power

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe Z71 No electrical power

2002 Tahoe Z71 4x4 with 5.3 flex fuel engine 109,000 miles

Wife goes out to start Tahoe. Puts key in waits for chimes to stop and trys to start it (everything is working at this point Radio lights dash). Nothing no click etc. releases key to run position now it has now power. no dash lights, interiior lights no radio no power locks no power seat nothing.

I get home and check the battery test at 12.8 volts checked gables all tight but removed and cleaned to be sure, still nothing check all of the fusses and cables again. every once and a while I hear a faint hum in the speakers. Pull radio fuse it goes away plug it back in gone but randomly comes back. Every once and a while I hear relay clicks. Whe I locate it and get ready to test it it stops and another starts. then they all stop.

I decide that it must be a ground problem. I chase the negative battery cable to the block and block to firewall. Connection shows some corrosion but not bad. cleaned these and another to the frame, two to the fire wall and one on the hood (all I could find). Tried to start it. Now I have power but now the starter just clicks like the battery is dead (battery is fine) try it several times clicking goes from multiple clicks to a single click. Frustrated I pull the starter to check connections and clean the mounting points to the block thinking it is a ground problem every thing looks great. (I did not have the starter tested but never had a problem before) Still have power but the starter just clicks. Help!!!!!!!

Motor is not seized I can turn the motor with a wrench.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 3:40 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You say the battery is OK. What's the battery voltage when the key is in the Start position? If it doesn't drop a lot, then I suspect starter/solenoid. If it does drop a lot, then suspect battery.
Old February 24th, 2010, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks people seem nice and helpful on this forum.

Battery Voltage was 12.8 before charging and when in the start position it dropped to 12.6 back in the run position voltage returned to 12.8.

Last edited by 510det; February 24th, 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 8:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trace all your positive cables too. down to starter, over to junction box. make sure they are good and tight.
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been wondering if maybe there are more grounds I have not found. Anyone know where I can get a good wiring diagram and or Ground location map?
Old February 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

If you are only dropping 0.2 V, then the solenoid is not energizing. That's either because it's bad or like maxxman said, you've got a bad connection some where. Might try tapping the solenoid & starter w/ a hammer while someone holds the key in the start position.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I'll go out and test things again once the rain stops.
Old February 27th, 2010, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

update: I cleaned all of the positive connections I could find coming off the Positive battery cable.

Tested the voltage at the battery, at rest 12.6v while trying to start (just getting clicking fromt the starter) it drops to 4 to 5v. Key removed battery at 12.3v

If I disconect the battery and let it sit for a while and then re conect the battery I get all of the power back. I try to start it and get readings like those above. After several attemts the battery is still reading ok but the stater will go from makking multiple rapid clicks to a single click. This click is to quick to get a reading from. So I disconect the battery (working on things) and it will retrun to multiple rapid clicks then after multiple attempts just a single click.

At no time has the motor turned over just ckicking.

Im going to try tapping on the starter tomarrow while is someone trying to start it. If that does not work out comes the starter to have it tested.

The starter is a real pain to get out and in there is just no room to move it around. Are there any tricks to make this easier?

Thanks
Old February 27th, 2010, 3:44 AM
CF Active Member

Its your starter solenoid not the starter itself. It sounds like it isn't sending enough voltage to the starter to turn over the engine.
Old February 27th, 2010, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by adam86107
Its your starter solenoid not the starter itself. It sounds like it isn't sending enough voltage to the starter to turn over the engine.

Yes that is what I was getting at, just a little sleep deprived and frustrated. Im going to pull it out Saturday to have it tested.

I hope cleaning the connections has fixed the no power problem

Quick Reply: 02 Tahoe Z71 No electrical power