Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

"03 Surburban 1500 4x4 5.3 Alternator/Instrument Panel issue

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2018, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "03 Surburban 1500 4x4 5.3 Alternator/Instrument Panel issue

Quick and dirty. Instrument panel reads "Battery not recharging" , battery light is on. It is actually coming on for a few seconds then turning off, and then back on, etc. Pattern. I Google to find if there are known instrument panel issues with my year truck. Of course there are! I change out alternator, drive one nite, next morning same issue. First instrument panel doesn't work. Shut car off. turn back on , instrument panel works but getting "battery Not recharging" . Shut car off and turn back on one more time, Instrument Panel is not working again, but I have defroster on, fan set to full blast Setting on "5". I can hear fan is not working at top speed. This truck when fan setting is set to 5 has always been very noisy and powerful. creates a windstorm. It doesn't now. Battery is definitely draining.
If the instrument panel is shot, can that cause recharging issues? Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot?
Old December 19th, 2018, 8:44 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Does your Subruban have a voltmeter? If not, get an inexpensive one (mine was $4) that plugs into the cigarette lighter. With engine running, voltage should be like 13.5 to 14.5 volts. If voltage drops below 13 volts, I'd suspect the alternator (even if new), and that could be causing the instrument panel issue.

If voltage stays where it should, then maybe instrument panel or ECM....