Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Tahoe storage isssues

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, having such a large container up there, does have it's disadvantages, but, I'd like to mention an additional item which I installed on/for it.

I bought a length of that 1/4" Plastic Coated Steel Cable, drilled a hole in the back of the bottom part of the Carrier, looped it, pulled the loop around the back of the crossbar of the Rack, and used a Padlock to lock the Carrier to my Burb.

Now, I don't know just how much influence that would have, deterring theft, but, it would have at least slowed someone down, and...
If the straps gave way and allowed the Carrier to be thrown off the back of my Burb, the Cable was tough enough to keep it dangling back there, instead of causing someone else to have to deal with a flying boxcar.
Old January 11th, 2013, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate everyone’s responses. This may sound like a dumb question, but my Tahoe doesn’t have the cross bars that I see on so many other vehicles. Do I need them and how are they used, if I put one of these storage containers, on the top of my Tahoe?

Old January 12th, 2013, 1:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
Crossbars are not actually required, AS LONG as the ties/hooks that strap the Container down to your roof are proper, and have a good grip. Using a Crossbar to slide the Container back against, is just an extra place to make sure it doesn't slide back any. Probably more for your piece of mind, than an actual necessity. You might be able to buy some from a Dealer, or Wrecking Yard IF you really want a set up there.

But, if you don't, and don't feel good about the mounting, you can always go to GM or a Big Box Store, and buy some of those Locking Straps, and find some Plastic Covered Hooks, where you can drill and mount extra tie downs on the Container. Also, you could fabricate your own Hooks, and use that Plastic Dip to give them a good protective cover.

Also, I THINK I see some slots running lengthwise on your siderails. It's possible that your Rack can use some of the Mounting Lugs which are customarily used on some Racks. You might check with your Dealer, and see if your Rack can use those. In any case, the way your side rails have those extra supports about the middle, those really help keep the Container in place.

Your other options is, just do away with any hooks, and use the locking straps around the side rails... your choice, but, I personally would make sure there was at least one set of hooks, on the front of the Container.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 12th, 2013 at 1:50 AM.