Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Tahoe, Torx caliper bolts

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2019, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Tahoe, Torx caliper bolts

Replacing a wheel bearing and rotors/pads on my 04 Tahoe.

Previous owner seems to have worn out/stripped the Torx head on the lower caliper pin bolt on the drivers side. I can seat a T55 in it, but any movement to break it loose just makes it pop out again.

Any tips to get it removed? Is it possible to replace the pads and brake hardware with the caliper mounted on the bracket?
Old October 20th, 2019, 2:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Aruzaa
Replacing a wheel bearing and rotors/pads on my 04 Tahoe.

Previous owner seems to have worn out/stripped the Torx head on the lower caliper pin bolt on the drivers side. I can seat a T55 in it, but any movement to break it loose just makes it pop out again.

Any tips to get it removed? Is it possible to replace the pads and brake hardware with the caliper mounted on the bracket?
Not to my knowledge, there is not.

However, there are professional grade adaptable/self-adjusting air-powered driven sockets that would almost certainly remove this bolt, but you'll need to get a new one to replace the old bolt as they usually tear up the bolt-head in the process. I am not a professional tech, but I know that people here, like tech2, a working professional automotive technician, could likely address this issue better then I can do. I don't own any air-powered tools, but perhaps a look on Youtube might help you out too.

Lots of "shade-tree" mechanics, and professional technicians post automotive videos there, like Scotty Kilmer down in Texas does all the time, about many automotive and mechanical issues.

The only advice I can give you is that I always use "Never-Seize" on bolts like these, even if I don't live in the "rust-belt" where corrosion is a real issue for many people
with vehicles that have many more corrosion problems, then we who don't live in these states/areas have to deal with. I am sure a professional can remove this bolt.

Best of luck, Aruzaa!

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 20th, 2019 at 2:57 AM.
Old October 20th, 2019, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

remove the top caliper pin bolt...lever the top of the caliper back. when it tilled far enough back from the bracket...push the caliper to the center of the vehicle...the caliper will slide out with the pin still attached to the caliper
The following 2 users liked this post by tech2:
oilcanhenry (October 21st, 2019), Spear Lord Burghardt (May 23rd, 2021)
Old October 21st, 2019, 6:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks For correcting my mistaken advice, tech2.
I surely blew it on that one didnt I ?
Old October 21st, 2019, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all tips. I managed to change the rotor and pads with the lower caliper pin still in place. I’ve ordered new pins (with bolt heads), and will replace them soon. But I’ll probably need help from a shop to remove the stripped pin...
Old October 21st, 2019, 6:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Thanks For correcting my mistaken advice, tech2.
I surely blew it on that one didnt I ?
lol...once in a while...I get one right!
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 21st, 2019)
Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tha

Originally Posted by tech2
remove the top caliper pin bolt...lever the top of the caliper back. when it tilled far enough back from the bracket...push the caliper to the center of the vehicle...the caliper will slide out with the pin still attached to the caliper
Thank you! I know this post is a couple years old, but your comment is the only reason I don't have to take my vehicle to a shop! One side had 18mm bolts on the caliper from prior brake work, and the other side (HAD) T55 bolts. I read this and got the pads out with one stuck T55 in and it slid out like you said. Thanks man!
Old August 30th, 2022, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Aruzaa
Thanks for all tips. I managed to change the rotor and pads with the lower caliper pin still in place. I’ve ordered new pins (with bolt heads), and will replace them soon. But I’ll probably need help from a shop to remove the stripped pin...
where did you order your pins and bolts from?
Old August 31st, 2022, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New bolts, pins, & slides came with the new calipers & pads. Was the case when purchased from both NAPA and OEM from GM dealer.

Last edited by Little Jimmy; September 1st, 2022 at 5:35 AM.
Old September 16th, 2022, 2:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem. I removed the caliper mounting bracket with the caliper still attached, disconnected the brake line.
I put the whole thing in a vise and using an air impact wrench, with my body weight on it, it still wouldn't budge. Using a friend with a long breaker bar and pipe extension, and my body weight on the torx it was loosened.