Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 suburban front differential vent question

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2022, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 suburban front differential vent question

So now on to a new problem with the suburban. I have never seen this issue but as I was test driving I heard a noise pop up and I see fluid all over the front. The vent popped out. It was attached to the hose but completely popped out of the differential. I am unsure at this point if I am looking at replacing just a cap or if I need a differential replaced. Wondering if I can get some thoughts on this. Here is a picture of the cap I will attach.

Old February 4th, 2022, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

I'm thinking a chunk is still in the diff. I saw a photo of the vent and it looks like a metal shield is supposed to be on the back. I see the previous owner has a bolt where the vent is supposed to be on the hose and I'm thinking he overfilled it. I had way too much splatter when it popped out. I will look with my camera in the morning and see if I can see it. But here is a question. Never attempted this before so it's a great idea right? Nope it isn't.

​​​​​​Do you think I could take the lid off the diff just a little while its mounted just enough to pull out that piece if it's in there? I have replaced diffs before so not an issue but never opened one. Wondering if a can of worms would be opened

Last edited by ChevyMonster; February 4th, 2022 at 6:13 PM.
Old February 6th, 2022, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 602 Posts

The vent looks mangled. My guess is it popped out because it wasn't venting.
Judging from the fluid color, diff won't be in terrific shape either.
Old February 7th, 2022, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The vent looks mangled. My guess is it popped out because it wasn't venting.
Judging from the fluid color, diff won't be in terrific shape either.
Yea I'm pulling it off tomorrow. I used my Autel camera and while all the gears appear to be in fair shape, the diff fluid is the worst I have ever seen. It took over 30 seconds just for the fluid to start to drain. The best I can describe the consistency is even thicker than honey and solid black. The smell is so bad my wife is making me turn a fan on in the garage and it's -6 In the garage. The smell just is seeping into the house. I'm nervous to even look at the rear. I just need to find where the other side of the vent hose is.

Last edited by ChevyMonster; February 7th, 2022 at 9:26 PM.
Old February 11th, 2022, 11:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Since that oil looks so bad I would recommend changing it ,driving it a hundred miles or so, and then one more change.That would amount to flushing it, more or less.My 07 Tahoe front differential is pretty easy to do.
Old February 11th, 2022, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LarryE
Since that oil looks so bad I would recommend changing it ,driving it a hundred miles or so, and then one more change.That would amount to flushing it, more or less.My 07 Tahoe front differential is pretty easy to do.
I dropped the differential. Had many gear teeth sheered. Tons of metal shavings on the plug so I bought one from a salvage yard. Going to put it in today. Still not sure how the vent cap got so mangled. The threads and gasket on it were just mutilated. And funny enough the driver's side drive axel was just rolling in there. Not connected to anything so it was just rolling with the rest of the tires. Makes me wonder how or if it effects stabilitrak on it
Old February 11th, 2022, 12:22 PM
CF Active Member

That sounds nasty.
Old February 11th, 2022, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LarryE
That sounds nasty.
I'm trying to find a good cleaner right now to remove all the blown grease that got all over the wheel when the vent cap blew. It's all over the rotor, tie rods, cover panel. Everything. Just a dripping mess.
Old February 11th, 2022, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Try purple power
Old February 12th, 2022, 9:11 AM
CF Active Member

How about some pictures of the broken gears?Thanks.