Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Tahoe in mid-life crisis!!

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2011, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Tahoe in mid-life crisis!!

Just got my wife's 05 Z71 Tahoe out of the dealer. It has 92xxx miles and has been maintained properly, adult owned (bought it new) and not abused.
Well, the left rear window quit working a few months ago, then when driving the AC would go to full heat, only to correct itself if you shut the engine down for a few minutes. Finally the SERVICE 4WD light came on for a couple of days, then it loked in 4LO as she was headed to the store. I got it out after starting it back up, putting it in neutral and letting it relax.
Off to the dealer.
They called back with $650 for the 4WD encoder motor, $350 for the window regulator, $1100 for the heat/AC duct asssembly in the dash, and, oh, you need a battery $150 (low voltage, could affect the computer), tires $1100, 2 marker lights $25 and wiper blades $36.
I said fix the 4WD, the window, and put in a battery (yeah, I know....) and I will deal with the rest.
DAM!
And this ain't the first significant trip to the service department. Computer module that controls the speedo and some mirror functions $700.
Now my wife originally wanted a Nissan Armada and I talked he into the Tahoe. Now every time the Tahoe has trouble she reminds me of the 4Runner she traded in that NEVER had any trouble.
My 99 Suburban 4WD with 210000mi has given less trouble.
Do the newer models just fall apart sooner???
I am looking at a new vehicle soon and she has said "no more American cars". I am starting to agree. And we also had a very low mileage 03 Expedition a while back that I loved but we were scared to keep it after the warranty expired. The local Ford dealer service dept actually knew her in there! So it ain't just the Chevy!
I hate to write this as I am a Chevy guy, have been since 16yrs old, but just had to vent.
BTW, the new 4Runner looks pretty good......
Old September 17th, 2011, 4:44 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Have you frequented any Armada forums? Not saying they are having any problems but it's been my experience that you hear about problems on forums as folks are looking for solutions. Folks that enjoy their problem-free ride rarely visit the forums.

My personal experience w/ several Pathfinders was that the ergonomics sucked and most of the controls were not illuminated which made driving one occasionally at nite a real bitch.