Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 'Burb - what to do first?

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2013, 3:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

joeincharlotte,

Let us know if you would like for us to look into this further. We can reach out to your dealership on your behalf.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 4th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have an idea of the affect on fuel mileage with the AFM?
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Spicoli
The theory (as I understand it) is that engines with AFM are supposed to get slightly better fuel mileage, due to conditionally disabling 4 cylinders. I'm not sure if in practice that is actually true.

Taking the 'burb on a longer trip this weekend, so I'll see what she does as far as oil consumption and mileage, and I'll report back what I get. (Heading to Washington DC from Allentown PA area).
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tasha1975
engine power is reducing, stabilitrak needs service, and traction control off causes vehicle to slow to 25-30 mph then shut off, that is what i am experiencing as we speak and so far there is no actual solution to this problem without spending thousands of dollars going through the process of elimination and repairing all sorts of things till its fixed, i have an 07 burban and it has 89,000 miles. this same issue that i am having seems to be one that a lot are having as well.
Probably better to start a new thread on this problem, as this thread isn't really about that issue.

That being said, what codes ( if any ) are being thrown?
Old October 25th, 2013, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Spicoli
Update: I'm averaging 17 MPG, 65% highway, 35% city, which I consider to be pretty decent. I don't think the AFM has had any negative affect.

So far, no oil usage.
Old October 25th, 2013, 8:33 AM
CF Junior Member

The only reason for AFM is fuel mileage improvement. You sound like you are expecting AFM to negatively affect mileage, and it won't. I believe I've read that in testing it gave a 4-5% mpg gain.

The open question is whether a very expensive, relatively complicated system is worth it for the modest gain. I've still not been able to figure out if AFM failures from oiling problems are widespread or isolated. I think most people that deactivate AFM do it to avoid any chance of the oiling problems. If I find from reading that many engines start to burn a lot of oil as they get over 100,000, and enough AFM failures happen, I'll deactivate it.

There's a gazillion 5.3's with AFM on the road today. Anyone have an idea of what the AFM failure rate is?
Old October 25th, 2013, 2:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17 mpg??? LUCKY! how fast you drivin? At 74 mph almost all highway, 14.4 mpg. Although its upstate NY. Going down to FL during spring got a whopping 16.8 mpg :O Commong back barely 15.5 mpg
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
Update: I'm averaging 17 MPG, 65% highway, 35% city, which I consider to be pretty decent. I don't think the AFM has had any negative affect.

So far, no oil usage.
Well since you can presumably plug and un-plug the AFM disabler, why not try to go no a trip with it on, then disable it on the way back to see how much fuel(if any) it saves?
The trick of course is to drive the same way as much as possible without too much variation in throttle usage.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Trouble is you have to buy the disabler first, fairly expensive to just test it!
Old October 31st, 2013, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

I'll revise: my mileage average is with AFM disabled, via the Range Technologies V8.

I'll do some testing over the next few months and try to do a comparison with and without. Not very easy though, as I don't do a lot of 'regular' trips of enough miles to have two that are the same.

However, next summer I'll be planning several similar trips, to Annapolis a couple of times, and to Pensacola Florida, and both will use the same routes. So, it'll be a trip of a couple hundred miles x 2, and a trip of 1100 miles x 2, so I should be able to get a good feel for any difference AFM vs Disabled AFM.

Other updates: Still very happy with the beast. So far, two problems have cropped up:

1) Left front tire pressure sensor is failing. More of an annoyance than anything, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to disable the stupid things.

2) The power lift gate acts strange. If you leave it open for too long, its as if it 'forgets' where it is at, and you have to close it manually, and then a few times after that, it seems to not want to open automatically. Always acts fine if you open it, then close it within a few minutes. Weird.

Cheers,

Darryl

Quick Reply: 07 'Burb - what to do first?