Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban 3rd row seat will not unlatch

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2017, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 07 Suburban 3rd row seat will not unlatch

I have a 60/40 3rd row seat. I want to remove only the 3rd row seats. I was able to remove the 40% side by following the instructions that are in the manual. The 60% side will not allow me to fold down the seat and therefore I cannot unlatch it from the floor to remove it . Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Are you sure that the seat is firmly latched in the upright position? The seat back will not fold down unless the seat is fully locked in the down position.
Old September 4th, 2017, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your response.
I believe the seat is fully latched . I put my body weight against it to make sure. Handle #1 does not have the same tension feel on it as the #1 handle on the 40% side. I fear maybe a inner cable has broken or some other issue in the cable system is not working correctly. Is there a way to unlatch the system without using the handle #1? There is hardly any room next to the seat to work plus the plastic covers restrict even seeing the mechanical workings of the system. I can access a latch hook on the side next to the wall of the vehicle. It hooks around a pin that runs horizontal with the back of the seat. I cannot tell if there is one on the opposite side of the seat back. I tried to unlatch the hook from around the shaft, but it doesn't want to unhook. Do you think it's because I need to unhook the same type hook on the opposite side of the seat back? Thanks for you help. H
Old September 4th, 2017, 7:24 PM
Administrator

You might try taking the opposite seat out and removing the plastic trim so you can better see how the latch works.
Old September 5th, 2017, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

First of all I want to say I think this is a awesome forum. Looking through the posts I can tell there are a lot op fellow Suburban and Chevy owners who truly want to help. I appreciate that, it is very helpful in saving on repair bills.
I was able to get a large screw driver into the opposite side of the seat back and put it against what I thought was a release arm and while holding handle #1 up, lightly tap the screw driver with a hammer and release the seat back to fold it down. Handle #2 then was lifted and I pulled the release handle #3 and the seat was able to be removed. I found a cable holder that broke off , which may have been the reason the Handle #1 did not work as designed. Some of my plastic covers suffered some cosmetic issues. All and all I was able to get the seat out and hopefully I will be able to repair the broken cable holder with some JB Weld and it will work correctly next time. Again thank you for your help. Have a great day.
Old September 5th, 2017, 9:33 PM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for reporting back on what worked for you. Might help someone in the future.