Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 tahoe 4wd issue

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I can think of is the hubs locking takes a bit of rotation. I think 15' is a bit of a stretch... but I can see the front wheels needing to turn a bit to lock the hubs.
Old March 7th, 2013, 3:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said about 12' but I rounded up to 15 lol. Better safe than sorry. He said it needs about a 3/4 turn of the tire for the front wheels to lock in and engage and that could be up to 12' depending on size of tire.

I didn't notice any jerking from the front end in tight turns with the 4wd on, whether in hi or lo. I did notice that it takes more gas pedal to make it move when I go from 2wd to 4hi. Not going to mention 4lo as obviously that is a whole different gearing ratio.

I got a buddy that has his own shop might ask him to put it on a lift real quick kick it into 4wd and see what happens.

**Edit**
I just took it out for a quick spin around a church parking lot. Didn't notice and grabbing or jerking from the front end while doing tight turns in 4hi or 4lo, but the whole car did bounce very slightly. Wouldn't have noticed it at all if I wasn't looking for it and trying to make it happen.

Just for the heck of it I tried climbing a snow bank before I got home. Climbed up it ok lol.

Last edited by aris_unlimited; March 7th, 2013 at 3:22 AM.
Old March 7th, 2013, 8:48 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it sounds like the situation you found yourself in just didn't give enough rotation on the fronts to get the hubs locked...
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:20 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know what your buddy finds.
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

If you do a fairly tight turn on dry pavement in 4WD and don't notice anything, then you're not in 4WD.

BTW, 12' would translate to about a 5' diameter tire. We're talking Bigfoot monster truck tires.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited
I did notice that it takes more gas pedal to make it move when I go from 2wd to 4hi
I think you may have been driving in a straight line.
You can't tell much about the transfer that way.

You must try to turn the vehicle when in 4WD hi/lo.

IF it's actually in 4WD when you turn, it will literally stop, just like you put on the brakes, unless you give it a lot more throttle to keep it going.

Try this test...
Put it in 4WD-hi. See that the little light quits blinking and burns steady.
You can drive it for the 12-15' if you want, THEN take your foot off of the throttle.
As the vehicle moves forward on it's own, then turn the wheel full left or right (don't give it any gas/throttle or put your foot on the Brakes) just let it move on it's own.
IF you are in 4WD when you turn, it should stop just like you put on the brakes, without you doing anything but turning the steering wheel.
If it stops (rather quickly) on it's own, you ARE in 4WD !

Last edited by SWHouston; March 7th, 2013 at 1:09 PM.
Old March 7th, 2013, 3:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I did a very scientific and simple test today to determine if the 4wd is in fact working.

Put it in 4lo, drove about 20 feet to make sure it had kicked in. Pulled the front end down into a little ditch. Put it in reverse and floored it. 3 black tire marks on the road. It works.
Old March 7th, 2013, 7:49 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Now try it w/o driving forward.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited
It works.
GREAT !, but try it like Shark said anyway.

Just a little tip now...
You have a 4WD Auto Button, which automatically shifts it into 4WD when it thinks it needs it. Problem with that is, that it thinks it needs it TOO often, and it will shift into 4WD unexpectedly.

That's ok when you're running in Snow or Mud, but, on dry surfaces, it will cost you gas mileage, and may be bothersome enough to cause a distraction on your part, which may come at totally the wrong time. So, don't use it unless you really need it.

Be safe, and I'm glad everything is working !

PS: I'm wondering why you didn't have 4 black marks ?
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't know how the 4wd system in these cars work. I know in the good old days they would have lockers or limited slips in each differential so that all 4 tires would spin. But now-a-days most car manufacturers don't bother installing those. My guess is the front only has 1 tire that spins for this reason. I did look and could find no limited slip or locker that fit the front axle on these. Could be it was never designed to have one.

Quick Reply: 07 tahoe 4wd issue